Author Topic: Factory AC or aftermarket?  (Read 494 times)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
Factory AC or aftermarket?
« on: May 02, 2022, 11:10:00 AM »
I am doing major repairs such as floors and back halfing a 65 sedan. Also wondering while I am cutting, grinding and welding if I should convert to factory AC. I have the firewall and kickpanel sheet metal so it is doable, but I don’t have the engine brackets, fan shroud or anything else, or would it be easier to go aftermarket?
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Aftermarket requires mods too. (Re: Factory AC or aftermarket?)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 05:16:09 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who want to be cool!   :glasses9:

I am doing major repairs such as floors and back halfing a 65 sedan. Also wondering while I am cutting, grinding and welding if I should convert to factory AC. I have the firewall and kickpanel sheet metal so it is doable, but I don’t have the engine brackets, fan shroud or anything else, or would it be easier to go aftermarket?

I can't answer your question about back fitting the OEM system, but I can offer you some insights about Vintage Air in a 1965 Buick A-body.  There is an old thread on V-8 Buick describing the modifications needed for my trusty Special wagon:

https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/installing-a-vintage-air-sure-fit-system-into-a-1964-67-buick-skylark-special.270379/

I used the 1964-67 GTO Sure fit kit from Vintage Air because it seemed to be the closest match.  The results were fine and it is probably less work than scrounging the 1965 parts and making them fit.  I do like the performance of a modern air conditioner.  However on your project, you might prefer to keep the factory look.  Hopefully someone can share their experience in converting a car back to the 1965 A/C system.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Factory AC or aftermarket?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 05:31:21 PM »
Hey Kurt,

I think the answer to your question depends on your personal preference and what your plans are for the restoration.  If you're really interested in originality, as I was, factory A/C would be way to go.  However, I know of many that have installed aftermarket A/C and are very happy with it.  Sounds like you have some of the key parts needed for factory A/C.  And if you decide you prefer that approach, I have a nearly complete "rest of the system" available.  Several of the components are really hard to find, such as the fan shroud.  If that's of interest please PM me. 

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 06:49:05 PM »
Agree with Chuck that which system you put in is personal preference. If you plan on having the car judged only the original AC system will do. Several people on this forum, me included, have installed Vintage Air in their cars. I like Vintage Air but there is a lot to be said for having a factory correct system.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 09:55:47 PM »
Any ac beats no ac, at least as I her older!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto