Author Topic: vehicle history  (Read 863 times)

Offline ci restorations

• Buick Fan
vehicle history
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:12:56 PM »
does anyone know if there is a service to get names of previous owners?? Illinois dmv says they can only search the titled owner and can not give out any further info. I have a 65 gs 4 speed hardtop ive traced back to the 80,s, i was told that this guy bought it from the orignal owners son. Ive been told that the motor is original and all other numbers are matching, frame, body, trans, which i have verified except for the motor which has no info at all in front of the valley pan where it should be, and no evidence of grinding or sanding is evident. Is this a factory replacement block or??? This car was produced the first week of may which to my knowledge is when they first produced the 65 gs. Think they forgot to stamp it?? Ive been restoring cars since the 80's and own a restoration shop. I know other manufacturers replacement blocks have no stampings, however this is my first buick, and the first time I ran into this scienario. The car shows 63,000 miles which ive been told is accurate and i believe by the overall condition of the entire car, body, pedals, ect.. Any help out there??? Thanks, Mike

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: vehicle history
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:59:27 PM »
Mike,

There is no service like that that I know of. I do know people that have hired private detectives to track rare, high dollar musclecars.
If you have names, there are on-line pay services that cull information from government records. If you have a starting point to work back from, which it sounds like you've done, I've seen good success with that, IF people remember the car and who it was sold to. If you've gone back to the 80s, that's a pretty good start. Every case of track back, or sometimes forward, is different. Being persistent and looking at different angles means getting closer to the goal.

You should have a casting number on the block, and it is date coded. I can't recall where the numbers/dates are cast, but that should be easy to dig up. That will tell you much about the block. Buick started 65 GS production in January, 65. May was well into the production run.

Please consider documenting the car in the 65 GS registry on this site. And welcome!

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline ci restorations

• Buick Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:23:53 AM »
Thanks Mark, i have allready registered here a while ago, the casting number is on the rear of the block facing up , Mike

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:53:18 AM »
The intro page on this site had the production date listed as May of 65.  I noticed it about a month ago and told Chris about it--not sure if it has been changed or not.  Mark is correct that production started in Jan of 1965. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline ci restorations

• Buick Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
Thanks Brian

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »
Brian told me about that weeks ago and I promised to update it... just been really busy.

I know you guys have heard this before, but I'll try to get to it this weekend.   :laughing7:

Ciao,

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline ci restorations

• Buick Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
Thanks guys