Author Topic: Found a basket case.  (Read 145 times)

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
Found a basket case.
« on: March 27, 2022, 11:51:00 AM »
Hi guys,
As many of you know I've been collecting parts to make up a complete correct manual transmission conversion for a Nailhead car. I bought a bellhousing and some key clutch linkage components from a Buick friend in the Midwest but was still lacking the rod from pedal to swingset and the adjustment rod as well as a transmission. Brian Stone is assisting me with the rod and the adjuster. Yesterday I went and looked at a 65 GS transmission for sale a couple hours from me and bought it. The guy still had the car there although it was in rough shape. I asked him what happened to the bellhousing and he mentioned that he sold it to someone on the East coast along with the linkage for $100. Someone scored. The car is for sale although it currently has an Oldsmobile engine and transmission. He still has the GS radiator, driveshaft, block, heads and intake. As I was looking Under the hood I noticed the swingset was still there, then I saw the rod from pedal to swingset was still there and attached. I looked under the car to see if the triangular bracket that bolts on the frame was there and it is, also the adjuster assy is still present. Frame looks ok. Body is shot. Original rear end is gone. He wants 2 grand for the car and parts. I'm actually tempted to buy it.
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Found a basket case.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 12:30:01 PM »
The transmission. Not sure how to decode the numbers
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 12:52:45 PM »
Hi,

Depending upon how much trim and condition of the donor car it might be worth it, also if the frame is solid it's worth a few bucks as well. 

The rear in a GS is only special because it used larger bearings, also same as one used in the wagons. actually the Pontiac 10 bolt version is stronger casting (has one rib to reinforce the pinion)vs the Buick version (no side ribs), and unless you are going a concourse restoration, not having the correct rear end won't effect the car.

Good luck with the project, your post reminded me I have to model up that bracket and linkage.

Regards,
Jim
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 06:25:04 PM »
Hi Bob,

If you do end up buying this car and end up parting it out i would be a buyer for the drive shaft.  One thing you might also note is that when i was doing my restoration i ended up with an extra boxed frame from a convertible parts car I bought, and and I could have sold it several times over after i posted it on craigslist.  There was a fair amount of interest from guys with other 65 GM A body cars.

Rob.
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 07:33:07 PM »

There is also a code stamped on the machined surface where the side cover bolts on. It's basically just a date code. Yours has the cast iron side cover which is used on the later 65's and 66's. The early ones were aluminum.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 08:49:35 PM »
It had a Hurst Ramrod shifter which while interesting is not something I would use. Like to find an original shifter assy.
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »

On the main case above the T10-1B is the date code. Is it G-7? That would be July 7th. The stamping on the case I mentioned would be something like 'WG 6 5 2', which means: W=Borg Warner, 6=June, 5=5th (or 1965), 2= 2nd shift.
The tailshaft should have a date on it. They were made in batches. Mine looks like 3-24-65
Tailshaft may also have the vin stamped on it.... look at the flange where it bolts to the main case, on the top surface.

Neat shifter! It might be a little clumsy for street use? But it will make the car harder to steal!
For my 65, I found a shifter at a swap meet with a short handle. No idea what it came off of but the shifter body was a perfect match for the original 65. Corvettes used the T-10 up to 63 I think, as well as the full size chev.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal