Author Topic: Plug Wires  (Read 340 times)

Offline Arthur

• Buick Nut
  • 65 GS
Plug Wires
« on: March 24, 2022, 09:42:21 AM »
I'm running a standard point system in my GS and would like to know what plug wires to run? I'm fairly sure I don't want suppression or resister wires due to the fact I'm not running a electronic ignition system on my car. I still have the factory coil on the car. Where can I get the wires would be my second question?
65 Buick Skylark GS 4 speed, HT flame red w black top, original owner

Offline Jimbo65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Plug Wires
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 10:11:50 AM »
Art,
    Try Lectric Limited. Thats where I got mine. OEM Repro Date Coded.
Jim

1965 Skylark Gran Sport Coupe
Black/Saddle,PS/PW/PB/AC/AUTOMATIC/TILT

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 10:16:19 AM »
I ONLY use Taylor Spiro Pro wires. I normally get the ones I cut myself to the lengths I want with the plug ends already done at straight, 90* or otherwise available.
Far SUPERIOR wire IMHO.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 02:16:29 PM »
I ONLY use Taylor Spiro Pro wires. I normally get the ones I cut myself to the lengths I want with the plug ends already done at straight, 90* or otherwise available.
Far SUPERIOR wire IMHO.

Tom T.

I would have to agree with Tom.  I have been made aware of some people having issues with the reproduction wires causing miss fire.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 06:25:39 PM »
Worse yet.  GOOD friend completely did up his '71 GS 455/4spd. Of course as these things take years goes by. Buys what he can when he can.  Of course in grand scheme of things date coded wires are cheap in comparison so he buys a set early on only to sit for a couple years BEFORE the engine is rebuilt & installed in the vehicle. Breaks the engine in on the dyno. Of course there is very little to no load as it's just being run to check for leaks, etc. BEFORE installation.
Now you got to know this guy. A '71 GS is pretty difficult to I.D. without all the paper work which he had.
Talk about anole went as far as finding the correct NOS & date coded pipes & mufflers. Running the engine in the car it coughs, sputters & backfires MANY times to the point the mufflers blew apart. Like we used to do with our older cars way back when. Searched & searched & found another set of mufflers. Blew those apart also.
After the 1st. time I told him to check the wires. Says they are new. Tell him the carbon breaks down sitting on the shelf. Didn't believe me. after the second time he finally checked the wires. The coil wire was NG.
Called the company. Told him to pound sand. Wouldn't even send a 6" coil wire.
You would think with all the wires being sold they would like to produce a SUPERIOR product better than original. BUT they still produce the junk. IF you have a problem you'll be told to pound sand also.
What would it take to produce the wire EXACTLY the same using the Spiro type wire. It's internal & can't be seen. ALL the markings, date coding etc. can be all the same but continue to produce JUNK.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com