Author Topic: 65 GS by the Numbers Book  (Read 398 times)

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
65 GS by the Numbers Book
« on: March 23, 2022, 09:47:34 PM »
I heard about this book coming out, currently they are accepting pre-orders. Might be interesting.

https://gsbythenumbers.com/shop/ols/products/1965-gran-sport-by-the-numbers
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS by the Numbers Book
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 09:50:49 PM »
Wondering if anyone here was contacted to contribute information for the book too?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 08:40:22 AM »
I noticed the new book as well and pre-ordered. David did reach out to me on Facebook and I made some contribution to his efforts. I was honored to be be able to help. There are lots of folks on here that are much more knowledgeable than myself. I hope others were contacted and able to contribute.
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 09:10:52 AM »
Would be interesting  to know his background and buick history .jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 02:12:40 PM »
I recently received a pre-press copy a couple days ago. There was some good research done, but I found a few things that need attention. Just my opinion.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 03:15:51 PM »
I noticed the new book as well and pre-ordered. David did reach out to me on Facebook and I made some contribution to his efforts. I was honored to be be able to help. There are lots of folks on here that are much more knowledgeable than myself. I hope others were contacted and able to contribute.

The book is still being edited... Paging the services of Brian and Mark! lol
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline thepartsman

• Buick Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 08:09:33 PM »
Would be interesting  to know his background and buick history .jim

Jim,
I have 48 yrs automotive, 30 yrs GM Buick Dealer, 5 years Muscle Car parts research and restoration, Owner and creator of Atlanta Buick Specialties, LLC.
I was the first on the internet with Buick restoration info for GS/Gran Sport, Riviera, Reatta and Grand Nationals. My website averaged 80K to 100K hits a month from 17 different countries. I was hacked 2 times in ?09 and decided to take down the site. As a result I received complaints from resto shops and individuals about not finding info for their cars, I was talked into doing the books from the info I had on my website and from cars we did off frame restorations on.
The book Loren refers to took almost 3 weeks to get to him so during that time I went back through the build manual and added more pages of info pertinent to a 65 car.
Please note that we are all still learning about the builds of these cars and these books were basically produced to help the first time buyer or GS/Gran Sport enthusiast to help with knowledge in knowing what he or she is looking at before spending big dollars on a car that is not advertised truthfully.
This is a little of my background in Buicks.

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 08:57:30 AM »
Thank you I have  a car that was done by a supposedly buick expert and found a lot of little stuff wrong.jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for joining and welcome! (Re: 65 GS by the Numbers Book)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 01:28:27 PM »
Dear thepartsman, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks for taking the time to join 65GS.com and by all means welcome to our little community of passionate mid-60s Buick lovers! 

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 02:33:36 PM »
Partsman,

I can't speak for others, but there is uncertainty in my mind that if information about the 1965 Gran Sports are published and it isn't correct, people will see the finished, published book and assume information in it is 100% correct. I've had my Gran Sport for 31 years and I have never heard of you. There is more information and experience here on this web forum than anywhere else regarding 1965 Gran Sports. I understand you already sent a pre-printed sample to Loren. Great, he is the "Godfather" as far as I'm concerned regarding our 65s. There are probably 6-12 others here that should get a copy for review before it's printed. A private message to Loren would probably get you those names. All you need to do is ask and just about anyone here will help you out.
All of us would love to see this book be a success.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline thepartsman

• Buick Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 08:13:07 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. And just to be clear I did not expect you to have heard of me. I float in a different circle.
I was asked to put this book together and I did.
My reference library for this book was an off frame resto of a 65 Gran Sport Convertible barn find.
Also 65 GM build manual, Buick parts and history books, Service and body manuals, Delco history books
and verifcation from other owners went into it.
I'm not saying this book is a know all but is a book for someone to be knowledgeable when looking to spend
be bucks on a car.
I have sent dozens of books to owners here and abroad and recieved a thank you.
So here is my offer, send me your mailing address and I'll send you one for your review.

Thank you,
David Walker
B.C.A. 30832
G.S.C.A. 3752

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2022, 09:28:47 PM »
  I have a certain appreciation for anyone  helping car guys buy what they are paying for?.especially when anyone can advertise literally anything in most states and it eventually boils down to buyer BEWARE. Having said that and bought many NOT SO GOOD deals on what was advertised?..I need others to chime in. To my experience there is absolutely no foolproof way to identify a real 65 Skylark GS other than legitimate paperwork or an original stamping on the block that matches the VIN?.period. Anything else can be donated from a GS including boxed frame,correct rear axle,ventiports,sway bar?.etc. Unlike some GM muscle cars the VIN by itself means nothing. We have found many telltales that give fakes away, but I have also ran across some that would definitely pass most inspections. In reality a clone is a clone but a non numbers matching car may be impossible to differentiate. BUYER BEWARE is the caveat emptor  that you only see small print. 

Offline thepartsman

• Buick Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 10:33:42 AM »
Just want to say thank you for the orders.

Next printing will be ready in September.

David

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 08:05:20 PM »
Looking forward to getting my copy.thank you for all your hard work
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel