Author Topic: Blind Squirrels & Nuts  (Read 495 times)

Offline Jimbo65

• Crazy about Buick!
Blind Squirrels & Nuts
« on: March 15, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »
My original plans were to order 14x6 Wheel Vintiques and Firestone Deluxe Champion (7/8" WW) Bias Ply tires from Coker. Everything is on back order. With best guess ETA over a year out. So I have been looking for used OEM. I stumbled across a set of 4 tires and rims that are off a parted out 65 Skylark GS. Original owner's son now has the car. He says the wheels are original to the car. The rims are painted correct Argent Silver. Pictures look good, but they will obviously require polishing and repainting. The wheels come with mounted Dunlop Gold Seal F78-14 Bias Ply tire with useable tread, I don't plan to use them for driving, but  for showing in Unrestored/HPOF class. It looks the 14 x 775 tire crosses to F78-14, just a later numbering system. I think this should be acceptable. Going to look at them on Saturday. Price is very reasonable. Thoughts?
Jim

1965 Skylark Gran Sport Coupe
Black/Saddle,PS/PW/PB/AC/AUTOMATIC/TILT

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Blind Squirrels & Nuts
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 12:15:32 PM »
Hi ,I have 4 rally wheels starting to show rust and 4 775x14  red line tires old  but maybe 1,500 miles on them still showing  the nubs  on them .jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Blind Squirrels & Nuts
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 04:40:04 PM »
In a non judged meet or class they would be fine but in a judged ,points would be deducted as the tires wouldn’t be factory equipment! A original set of 65 wheels are very hard to come by as only 5000 of the total of specials, sport wagon, skylarks and gs’s got the road wheels! Original 65 wheels will have the polished centers not the satin grainy shot peened finish! Always check the nut seats and make sure there not elongated or oval in shape! Don’t want to loose a wheel! No fun!