Author Topic: I think I screwed-up  (Read 718 times)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
I think I screwed-up
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:18:35 PM »
Yesterday a friend came over and we install a saginaw in my 65 GS. We removed the stock T-10 and put the saginaw in temporarily because I wanted to try the wide ratio tranny. Well, long story short the clutch release bearing was too tight to go on the saginaw. So in my haste, and complete frustration, I enlarged the bearing hole with a dremel tool to make it fit. Afterwards I began to think about what I had done. Did I just ruin a throw-out bearing part specific to the 65-66 GS? Or did I just ruin the bearing that is currently available??  :dontknow:
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: I think I screwed-up
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
Kurt, just dealt with this on my buddies car, we had to machine the output retainer down! instead of the bearing! Also check your driveshaft length, on his it bound up and broke the pinnion!

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:48:52 PM »
Hi,

last year I did a 4 speed conversion and there is a place in TX that sells a throwout bearing with the holder I couldn't find it but was in a post on the V8 Buick site believe it was listed for a "1939 full size buick" something like that was identical to the stock 65 piece (mine the rivits were falling out)

I installed a Muncie and also turned down the bearing retainer as well although if you go with this mod I would sugest having a spare as I had a issue with the drive shaft and it snapped the bearing retainer even though I had another trans I had to scramble to get one turned down.

You will want to get a new throw out bearing retainer before you reinsall your t-10 I will be home this weekend so I can see if I can find the name of the place

Jim
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »
Thanks guys; I will go out and remeasure my two tranny's for length before I drive the car, and await Jim's response so I can order a replacement for the part I ground out to fit the saginaw. Thanks again, Kurt
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 Special wagon

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
Ok, all is better now; I have ordered a replacement clutch release bearing from:

Terrill Machine
Route 2, Box 61
De Leon, TX 76444

(254)893-2610

The price was $35 each (I bought an extra just in case) and $8 shipping. I am greatly relieved that these complete bearing assemblies are available. BTW, they advertise in Hemmings and carry all parts for rebuilding Buick engines up to 1966. From what I can tell they don't have a website.

On the issue of the saginaw length, I measured both the original T-10 and the saginaw and they are almost exactly the same. I will say that the saginaw is not an easy swap like I thought it would be. The linkage was a pain to setup (used a cheap Summitracing shifter) and the tranny mount is further back than the original. Most likely I will eventually install a wide ratio T-10 or Muncie, but that decision is down the road.

Thanks Jim and GSSizzler for your help, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to easily replace the part I had modified when I want to return to a T-10 (or Muncie), but that shouldn't be a problem now.
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 Special wagon