Author Topic: Speedometer question  (Read 220 times)

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
Speedometer question
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:53:54 AM »
Hello,
I noticed that my speedometer needle is not sweeping as usual. It moves but does not indicate correct speed. It slowly sweeps  between 0- 50 MPH (no matter how fast I drive). The needle will return to zero eventually after car is turned off. The odometer seems to function as normal.  Has this happened to anyone else? Is it time for a new cable?

Thanks,
Robert

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Speedometer question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 03:22:11 PM »
Yes, the magnatism inside the speedo head needs to be rebuilt. Many places do this process. Just do a search & I'm sure you'll find one. Bob's Speedo comes to mind.
Good news is the odometer works so the inside gears are OK.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 04:58:56 PM »
Yes, the magnatism inside the speedo head needs to be rebuilt. Many places do this process. Just do a search & I'm sure you'll find one. Bob's Speedo comes to mind.
Good news is the odometer works so the inside gears are OK.

Tom T.

Interesting fact to know.  Thanks Tom

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 08:04:55 AM »
Thanks Tom.
I will make this my winter project. I would have been frustrated if I replaced the cable and still not working.

I am fortunate that I already have a spare dash cluster with speedo that I bought for the clock.

Regards,
Robert

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 03:05:33 PM »
Robert,

Remove the inner cable by pulling it straight out.  Then remove the cable from the trans. adapter. Flush the inside of the cable with Brakleen from the top down into a clean container. IF possible blow it out with air & repeat a couple times. This should clean out the inside of the cable. Now screw/hook it back to the trans. adapter. While you have the cable dis-connected now would be the time to remove the speedo adapter, even if it's not leaking as you know it will start almost immediately after doing the cable. A 7/16ths. bolt & clamp, & replace the outside o-ring, apply a finger swipe of RTV around the outer portion of the o-ring to help it slide into place easier which will help seal the OD of the seal. The inner seal, which some will have a snap ring to hold the seal in place. Normally you can get two seals in there to just about prevent any future leakage.  It may be overkill but it's just the way i've done it for years & normally the snap ring can be re-installed.  IF not no biggy as the seal can't go anywhere. Just about ANY trans. shop should have these. Just take the speedo adapter with you.
    Now take the inner cable & while hanging with your thumb & fore finger spray it with Brakleen & repeat 1 or 2 times & wipe it down with a clean rag. Now wrap the cable loosely around your hand & lube.  DO NOT LET THE CABLE TOUCH ANYTHING AS IT MAY CONTAMINATE THE CABLE.  I VERY MUCH LIKE Kendall Super Blue grease. It's not thick like wheel bearing grease or thin as lubriplate or white lithium grease. It should last FOREVER. I use this on EVERYTHING that requires grease or pre-lubrication. IF you packed your wheel bearings with this grease 5 years from now it will be the same as when you 1st. packed the bearings. Now while applying grease to the 1st. 6" of cable unwrap it from your hand while feeding the inner cable into the the outer sheath & apply more grease with your fingers until the lower 3/4  of the cable is lubed. When you get to the end you will need to twist the cable to seat it into the speedo gear.
    This should never have to be done again.

Tom T.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 03:09:18 PM by telriv »
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 12:32:01 PM »
Thanks again Tom.
I now see that the cable is able to be pulled out of the sleeve.
At first I thought it had sheared off causing the limited sweep.
I will follow your instructions, clean it up before replacing the speedo head.

Regards,
Robert