Author Topic: Air Cleaner  (Read 441 times)

Offline Jimbo65

• Crazy about Buick!
Air Cleaner
« on: September 27, 2021, 07:12:27 AM »
What year did they start using a crankcase breather mounted in the Air Cleaner? The chrome one mounted on my 65 has it, so guessing it's not the right cleaner either. Probably explains why my CA emissions breather is jury-rigged. See pic   
Jim

1965 Skylark Gran Sport Coupe
Black/Saddle,PS/PW/PB/AC/AUTOMATIC/TILT

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 09:32:33 AM »
California cars used the air cleaner breather in 1965. Believe that is the first year.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Jimbo65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 09:46:55 AM »
Thanks, Dan. Mine has a breather in the Valve Cover and another breather filter inside the Air Cleaner. Think this a later model Air Cleaner. Doing some research, came across some pics from Mark Ascher's restoration. Believe this is the setup I should have.
Jim

1965 Skylark Gran Sport Coupe
Black/Saddle,PS/PW/PB/AC/AUTOMATIC/TILT

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 02:49:45 PM »
Thanks, Dan. Mine has a breather in the Valve Cover and another breather filter inside the Air Cleaner. Think this a later model Air Cleaner. Doing some research, came across some pics from Mark Ascher's restoration. Believe this is the setup I should have.

That was used but also air cleaners with holes in the side were too. Can’t post my pictures here due to a technology glitch, but have an air cleaner on my GS convertible with the hole back aways but in the side of the air cleaner and not the snorkel.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60