Author Topic: 300 trans  (Read 573 times)

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
300 trans
« on: August 31, 2021, 05:58:01 PM »
Idle stator switch,how do you adjust a micro switch on a sloppy rubber bushed carburetor  linkage service manual doesn't have a good picture  of it . ??? Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
Re: 300 trans
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »
Carfully slide the larger part of the rubber boot forward, you will see the edge of the pushrod has "flats".

Hold the flats with a wrench, and break the jam nut loose, then you can turn the rod in or out until you get the position you want with enough play, so the switch actuates when you desire.

You can also disconnect the rod end side (eyelet) and hold the rod and adjust the rod end (does the same thing).

If you pull the connector off the swotch, you can use a light or meter to signal when the adjustment is where you want it, rather than trying to listen for the solenoid to click.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 06:18:38 PM »
That is the stator detent switch  the idle stator switch is a small micro switch on the linkage out of the firewall the rod to the carb operates it  the two switches work together. Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 02:16:22 AM »
Gotcha.

I pulled the switch I described off my '64 Skylark 300, ST300 when I put the nailhead/T-10 in.

I'll go look and see if the switch is on the carb would have to look and see if I have the other microswitch.

Last time I dealt with the switches was back in the mid 70s on my LeSabre and that olde Super8 film in my brain is pretty degraded.

OK. Went and looked at it.

Unplug the connector for the dashpot wires from the downshift switch (the first one I mentioned).
Plug test light or Ohm meter into the connector, then loosen the jam nut on the threaded rod lower end of the dashpot (where it is attached to the bracket), then set the carb to "hot idle" position and adjust the dashpot until the switch is in "open" state.

I will try and get pictures if you need them.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:03:40 PM »
Hi  that sounds right ,our local junkyard has most of a 65 skylark  went and took. A close look at it and the horse shoe bracket  the switch rides against mine has a rubber grommet for pivot the junk one is metal bushed so no slop in the joint  I'll clean it up and try that one .jim

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 11:16:17 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Michael