Author Topic: Deck Lid Alignment  (Read 182 times)

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
Deck Lid Alignment
« on: August 31, 2021, 08:26:42 AM »
Not sure where this should go and Q&A seemed to be a good fit.

So, I am test fitting the deck lid using the seal that is recommended - http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,2177.0.html (Trunk weatherstrip; Steele/70-0774-84). Shimming at the hinge is needed to get a nice fit. The problem is at the rear end of the lid on the edges. I've adjusted the striker down as far as is goes but the side corners down around the taillight area don't pull down close enough to match the body. Will the seal relax over time? I suppose on some cars this fit ends up being perfect but I'm wondering if others end up with a fit that is not exactly "perfect".

Dwaine trying to avoid another day of  :BangHead:
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Deck Lid Alignment
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »
Dwaine,

I had a devil of a time getting my decklid to almost fit well.  I used two different thickness shims at the hinges and the horizontal alignment is near perfect.  But getting the back to fit was a real struggle.  It seems that the deck lid wants to be moved toward the rear to the point that the corners would be rear of the mating corners on the quarterpanels.  I ended up doing some serious surgery to the lock retainer so that it stopped eating paint when closing the lid.  The fit is now pretty nice, but when I open the deck lid, there is a severe compression in the seal where the lock retainer is.  Not eating paint anymore, but still not looking exactly right.  Those fits are truly a study in compromise....

Using a Metro trunk seal on the Verde Howitzer.  I installed a SoffSeal trunk seal on the red car and it works well.

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Deck Lid Alignment
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:55:53 PM »
Dwaine,

I had a devil of a time getting my decklid to almost fit well.  I used two different thickness shims at the hinges and the horizontal alignment is near perfect.  But getting the back to fit was a real struggle.  It seems that the deck lid wants to be moved toward the rear to the point that the corners would be rear of the mating corners on the quarterpanels.  I ended up doing some serious surgery to the lock retainer so that it stopped eating paint when closing the lid.  The fit is now pretty nice, but when I open the deck lid, there is a severe compression in the seal where the lock retainer is.  Not eating paint anymore, but still not looking exactly right.  Those fits are truly a study in compromise....

Using a Metro trunk seal on the Verde Howitzer.  I installed a SoffSeal trunk seal on the red car and it works well.

:cheers2:

Chuck

Chuck - I had read eariler on your restoration post a mention of the problem. Thanks for your reply with a little more detail. I left the lid closed all day and night and repeatedly pressed down in the high areas every time I walked by. Kinda, sorta, maybe see some relaxation. The overall fit is acceptable and I am at a prep stage where it can be left closed for awhile. I will probably need to go with a different seal when the time comes.

"Those fits are truly a study in compromise...." So true indeed! This really applies to all aspects of working on/restoring these 55+ year old cars.

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer