Author Topic: WTB - OEM Right rear quarter section for 1965 Skylark, Special, GS.  (Read 302 times)

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
Looking for an OEM right rear quarter section for a two door 1965 Skylark, Special, GS.  Needs to include the inner/outer wheelhouse and be complete from end to end, plus the sail panel.  Would consider a complete parts car or a rear clip or even a full body shell.

Thanks in advance! 

John

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: WTB - OEM Right rear quarter section for 1965 Skylark, Special, GS.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 07:01:49 AM »
Where are you located? I believe Kcombs in California still has this one.
 Check this out!

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,3537.msg38353.html#msg38353
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 03:13:03 PM »
Note sure what John means by "needs to ....... be complete from end to end......", but if it means from door opening to rear bumper, then the 4-door version available won't do for a 2-door car. But I don't think I know for sure what John meant.

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 04:49:37 PM »
I believe the four door rear clip will work on a two door, but minus where the back door was on a four door. It includes the trunk floor, inner and outer wheel house and about two inches of metal all the way to the rocker panel. Includes some floorboard including rear seat belt bolt holes. Might be able to use the skin off a four door back door to patch any rust in that area.
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »
Yes, it will do that. Just don't know what the reference was for "end-to-end". If end-to-end was north/south (rear bumper forward), then the 4D won't do it. If it was east/west (driver side to passenger side, and don't care near the door openings), then it probably is perfect.

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:10:32 PM »
I really do need the whole thing. 

It was a reputable shop with supposed recent experience in fixing early A body's, like mine.  When they said they were going to get Wolf patch panels to do some light rust repair on my GS, I assumed it would be used for dealing with a couple of small rusted areas along the wheel opening and directly behind.  We'd discussed and that was the plan. 

Instead they proceeded to bisect my entire quarter and attempt to use the full 20 gauge Wolf patch panel to replace 18 gauge factory metal that was (mostly) in great shape, texting me this photo once the section was fully zipped off.

It didn't end well. 

Over the past year and a half, I've been working with a new restorer who has actually fixed much of the work done by the previous shop to a much higher level.  This is the only part of the car we still need to replace in order to get the car to the next phase. 

No disrespect to the previous shop.  They still think theirs was an awesome plan.  Maybe it was.

Kurt has been super helpful in sharing photos of his 4-door rear clip with me, and he did find another car that, along with his clip could have gone the distance.  Only thing is I don't want a seam in this GS quarter, beyond the factory seams.  The rest of the car is straight as an arrow, all done in factory metal now (or at least 18 gauge in a couple of small patches.  I don't want to compromise on the last of the metal work, having come this far.

Hopefully this background and photo will help clarify things.

Thanks All!

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 01:22:34 AM »
Wait, is your car a sedan or a hardtop?
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 02:56:19 AM »
I can understand your Frustrations with the restoration shop,my hardtop has had three different shops work on it! Lots of money spent lot more work to do and some of it is redoing the shops unsatisfactory work! The last shop took me for $10,000! I have no nice words to say about this shop! Going to cost me more money to correct thier chit work! You can use a post quarter on a hardtop ! You have to leave the lip of the quarter window and the door jam and  splice it in! You can use a four door section to patch the back half of the quarter !You have to go from the horizontal body line where yours is cut! Anything above this is different as the sail panel roof line on a four door differs!
A outer wheel housing from a gto can be used to patch the lip! They are available and this is what was used on the left side of my hardtop! I see that your car is a post!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 03:09:19 AM by gssizzler »

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 08:46:11 AM »
Wait, is your car a sedan or a hardtop?

Kurt, it is a sedan.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:21:57 AM by 9er3delta »

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 09:12:45 AM »
I can understand your Frustrations with the restoration shop,my hardtop has had three different shops work on it! Lots of money spent lot more work to do and some of it is redoing the shops unsatisfactory work! The last shop took me for $10,000! I have no nice words to say about this shop! Going to cost me more money to correct thier chit work! You can use a post quarter on a hardtop ! You have to leave the lip of the quarter window and the door jam and  splice it in! You can use a four door section to patch the back half of the quarter !You have to go from the horizontal body line where yours is cut! Anything above this is different as the sail panel roof line on a four door differs!
A outer wheel housing from a gto can be used to patch the lip! They are available and this is what was used on the left side of my hardtop! I see that your car is a post!

Sorry, to hear about your experience.  I'm finding it is a common one among 64-65 Skylark owners who attempt restorations at the "resto" shops.  Many of these shops run through later 60'searly 70's unibody cars all day long...Cuda's, Camaros, Mustangs etc.  Parts for those are readily available in the repop or aftermarket world.  As you already know, you can actually buy a brand new replacement body for some. 

The difference in our cars, as you probably already know and I have learned is that they ARE different than doing many other 60's cars.  There is essentially nothing available for them in the repop or aftermarket worlds.  It really takes a preservationist and a fabricator restorer to restore these cars...not just a "panel popper", as my current restorer calls the other shops. 

It is really obvious when you walk in the door of either kind of shop...once you've blown thousands of dollars in the former.  In the big restoration shop, there were wire welders, lifts, lots of air tools all around, big tool boxes lining the walls.  In the restorer's shop I'm in now, there are different sized lathes milling machines, jigs and clamps of all kinds hanging from the walls, metal shears, metal rollers, a couple of english wheels, one lift, a wire welder AND a very nice TIG welder. 

For vehicles in next to mine, there is an old 40's Chevy pickup with a late model Corvette rear end assembly and full front and rear Corvette suspension fabricated into the custom designed and built chassis.  In front of that is a 62 Impala that was pulled out of the desert and is getting a full restore done. 

In the original shop my GS started, there were two 71 Challengers, a late 60's GTO, a 69 Mustang and a late 60's Charger in there.  All were there getting panels popped off and new ones popped on.  Big difference.  I understand now.  Lesson learned. 

I could berate the shop mine started with, but maybe my expectations were too high.  I honestly believe they don't even understand what they did to my car.  Life is short...I just need to move on and get my car done.  It is in the best possible place now. 

Good tips on the parts that will work for mine.  I'll pass this along to my guy.  Incidentally he has some old GM cross-reference books he picked up at an auction when one of the GM plants shut down long ago.  It lists every single part on our Buicks and what they cross-reference to in the other GM cars, from a line assembler's standpoint.  I'd never seen anything like them..  It has been quite helpful in hunting parts in the junk yard. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:20:53 AM by 9er3delta »