Author Topic: Hardware and fasteners questions - Stainless?  (Read 196 times)

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
Hardware and fasteners questions - Stainless?
« on: August 08, 2021, 12:16:12 PM »
My restorer has recommended all stainless hardware (nuts, bolts, fasteners) for the two Skylarks he's restoring for me, mostly because a lot of the cars he's done live in the humid Midwest. 

I'm a huge OEM fan, But I am considering doing this.  Living in NE Iowa, even pulling one of my old cars out of an environmentally controlled building on a warm humid day will cause moisture to condense on the metal parts, especially the thicker iron parts. 

To combat against the humid factor, on my other restorations, I painted the underside body color and all "bare" metal parts from the factory get either paint, a coating or a finishing sealant of some kind, even if it is just to duplicate the look of fresh iron.    My antique tractors have the same issue, thus I already take the extra steps of using stainless fasteners where possible, and anti-seize where needed, even if they will likely never see rain and live in an environmentally controlled (and humidity controlled space). 

Thus, stainless seems like a good option for my newest builds, something I wish I'd considered on the last automobile build. 

My questions are:

1.  Has anyone here done a restoration and used stainless fasteners, bolts, nuts, etc.?

2.   If so, could you share photos of the car where they'd be visible?

3.  How bad does this hurt the car's score in judging at Buick Meets such as a BCA or GS Nats.? (just in case I ever decide to drag one out and take it to a show)

Sorry for the small book!

Thanks in advance! 

John

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hardware and fasteners questions - Stainless?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 03:22:25 PM »
How much are you wanting to do in stainless? The engine, sheet metal, chassis, exhaust!? Doing all these can be a challenge! The amount of fasteners made that would fit our Buick’s might limit what could be stainless and what wouldn’t! As far as judging incorrect fasteners would be a mandatory points deduction!

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 10:46:17 PM »
I'll suggest taking the original (or repo) hardware to a metal finisher and having them zinc plate them, then do the blackening treatment. It will look much more original and should last a long, long time.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 09:09:38 AM »
Great comments and questions!  I need to have a deeper conversation with my restorer to learn more about what he's really talking about.  More to come!  Thanks!