Author Topic: Wheels  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
Wheels
« on: July 31, 2021, 07:17:41 AM »
Hi looking at new wheels and tires checked thru summit anyone hear of restopart  wheels ?      Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Any particular model in mind? (Re: Wheels)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 03:12:16 PM »
Dear Jim and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Hi looking at new wheels and tires checked thru summit anyone hear of restopart  wheels ?

I believe Restoparts is a registered trademark for items manufactured by Original Parts Group.  You might take a look at their website to get more information:

https://www.opgi.com/

When I do a search for Restopart Wheels on Summit Racing I see quite a few items.  Was there a particular wheel that had caught your eye?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 03:37:15 PM »
Hi ,just looking for the stock rally wheels ours  are getting a little worn was looking at the wheel vintiques  when the restoparts ones popped up and was wondering if anyone had used them .Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 08:37:34 PM »
  Hi Jim, I don't know about the Restoparts wheels. But I purchased a set of Wheel Vintiques 14X6 road wheels thru Jegs. Then purchased a set of 5 Cobra Radial GT P215/70R14 from Discount Tire.com . I painted the wheel pockets the correct color, had the tires mounted locally and everything looks great. I put over 100 miles on so far and I'm very satisfied with the ride in the GS convertible. 

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 08:53:41 PM »
Tony, I’m looking at the same wheels. Were the wheels in stock, any delays in shipping?
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
 Hi Kevin, I ordered them during Covid -19 last year so it took a long time to get them, but they should be available for faster delivery now. Give Jegs a call.

65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
I couldn't find that Restoparts wheel on OPGI site. (Re: Wheels)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 03:40:08 PM »
Dear Jim, Tony, Kevin, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Hi ,just looking for the stock rally wheels ours  are getting a little worn was looking at the wheel vintiques  when the restoparts ones popped up and was wondering if anyone had used them .Jim

Golly, I wasn't aware of any sort of Buick Rally wheel under the Restoparts name.  I just tried to find them on the Original Parts Group website and I couldn't find them there.

Is this the sort of model you were seeing on the Summit site:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/opg-s210050/make/buick

Summit is definitely describing them as sold on the Restoparts brand name, but that sure looks like the Wheel Vintiques wheel to me.  Here is the link to what appears to be exactly the same wheel on the Original Parts Group website:

https://www.opgi.com/wheels-accessories/wheels/1964-72-buick-skylark-rally-wheels/wheel-buick-rally-14x6-3-12-back-spacing-s210050.html

This wheel is described as from Wheel Vintiques.  Considering that the Wheel Vintiques wheel is a much less expensive even on the OPGI website - it is hard to imagine why you would spend more money without a really good reason.

I also have had Wheel Vintiques wheels on my trusty wagon for over 10 years.  They seem to hold up well so long as you take care of them.

Certainly a curious discovery you have made nonetheless!

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 07:09:14 PM »
I went with the Wheel Vintiques wheels because Edouard said the he had them on the wagon and was very pleased with them. And a local registry member put them on his turquoise 65 GS and they looked great. At that point I was sold on the Wheel Vintiques brand and did not look at any others. I purchased them thru Jegs so I would not have to pay for the shipping, also if there was anything wrong with any one of them Jegs would take it back without any problem. I never had a problem with Jegs OR Summit in the past.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Wheels, Wheel Vintiques 14X6 & Cooper Tires.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 06:08:34 PM »
  Hi Jim, Edouard. & A body enthusiasts.  Had the White GS out today to give it a run, then some cleaning and detailing. I took some photos for Jim to see how the new Wheel Vintiques Buick Chrome Road Wheels looked with the new set of Cooper Cobra tires. As per our discussion (post) at the beginning of this month. I put on about 80 miles on the new Tire/Wheels combination and everything is OK and I'm very happy with the purchase.
    Unfortunately when I turned on my stock AM radio to listen to some tunes thru the FM converter the radio started making weird crazy noises as I turned up the volume. I disconnected the FM converter and plugged the antenna directly into the radio but it did not help ! So after 56 years of service, the radio died ! Over the winter I will have it upgraded to AM/FM with a plug so I can play my oldies from my phone...

Tony   :icon_thumright:

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 09:02:03 PM »
Tony, wheels and the Gran Sport look awesome!
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »
Tony
What brand and color did you use for your wheel centers,
 I'm going to have to paint the center of my rally wheels at some point.
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 11:12:31 AM »
  Hi Jim, I used Dupli-Color High Performance wheel coating HWP102 Graphite. that purchased from Summit racing.  I used a Scotch Brite pad to scuff up the black paint, then used grease & wax remover to clean the areas. Let it dry, then gave it 2 coats of Graphite. For the brake drums I used VHT High Temperature engine enamel drive train chemical resistant coating SP997 Cast Iron.

Tony   :thumbsup:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »
That?s a good looking car!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Sorry about the radio. (Re: Wheels, Wheel Vintiques 14X6 & Cooper Tires.)
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
Dear Tony, Kevin, JimL, Jim, and owners of photogenic mid-60s Buicks.

. . .  I took some photos for Jim to see how the new Wheel Vintiques Buick Chrome Road Wheels looked with the new set of Cooper Cobra tires. As per our discussion (post) at the beginning of this month. I put on about 80 miles on the new Tire/Wheels combination and everything is OK and I'm very happy with the purchase. . . . .

Looks great!   :thumbsup:

. . .     Unfortunately when I turned on my stock AM radio to listen to some tunes thru the FM converter the radio started making weird crazy noises as I turned up the volume. I disconnected the FM converter and plugged the antenna directly into the radio but it did not help ! So after 56 years of service, the radio died ! Over the winter I will have it upgraded to AM/FM with a plug so I can play my oldies from my phone...

Sorry that your OEM radio died, but after 56 years I think you successfully amortized it!   :laughing7:

Let us know what service you finally decide to use to upgrade your radio.  There are lots of choices these days.  Are you thinking about any sort of speaker upgrade at the same time?  I know it is hard to do without sacrificing originality.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 07:10:42 PM »
  Thanks Jim, Edouard, This is the 31st that I have owned my GS convertible, and I still get a thrill out of driving it !  Yeah.. The radio died but after all those years of enjoyment I will let it rest in the dash until I send out one of the spare radios to get upgraded this Winter then make the swap in the Spring. Then let the original radio rest in peace in my parts cabinet... I have to decide where to send it to. I have 2 names Jim Shepard OR Mike Hagan. I will do my homework this Fall see where it leads me.

Tony   :thumbsup: