Author Topic: Interesting Historical Use of Nailheads  (Read 386 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Interesting Historical Use of Nailheads
« on: June 25, 2021, 05:16:25 PM »
Interesting piece on installation of a very historical nailhead in a 63 Wildcat convertible.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40294/cold-war-engine-swap-meet-the-1963-buick-wildcat-with-an-a-12-archangel-start-cart-engine

Enjoy!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Interesting Historical Use of Nailheads
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 07:10:29 PM »
Thanks for posting this Chuck.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 08:36:30 PM »
And the original engine from the Verde Howitzer is probably still powering the sawmill in Washington state where it was transferred years and years ago!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Interesting! (Re: Interesting Historical Use of Nailheads)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 03:08:30 PM »
Dear Chuck, Loren, and mid-60s Buick historians,

Indeed thanks for sharing!  It was an unusually thorough and well-written article.  The one puzzle I'm left pondering is why the nailheads were replaced by Chevy engines instead of Buick or some other luxury car engine.  Presumably, the nailhead was selected in the first place because of its low end torque.  It appears that the Chevy big-blocks weren't as well suited to the task in part because they couldn't as easily deliver the torque needed to spin up the jet engines.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
 Thanks for that great story Chuck, Years ago I took my Family to the Intrepid air, sea & space museum docked on the west side of Manhattan. On the flight deck they have many famous aircraft including a SR-71 Black Bird complete with the starting cart . I read the plaque that was attached to the cart and learned that the Buick Nailhead motor played an important role in that aircrafts history. That most definitely made my day even though children did not seem to interested.

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »
After getting my BS in Physics back in the late 80s, my first job was with the Skunk Works in Burbank, CA. The SR-71 was still active in the USAF inventory at that time, although it was about to be retired. I remember seeing a few of the start carts on some of my visits to Palmdale. However, this was before I owned my GranSport, and before I was aware of what a nailhead really was. The story, though, of how the team was able to acquire the engines without telling anybody what they would be used for, and who was actually buying them, was pretty fascinating.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles