Author Topic: Door glass guides rattle  (Read 516 times)

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Door glass guides rattle
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have a solution for worn out linings in the hides for the door glass. My guess is this is not a part that?s available and I?m betting pickers aren?t disassembling doors to get at these. I?ve looked at the mechanism and getting it out is a major pia but I?d love to get rid of the rattle I get with the windows down. Any and all ideas welcome. Thanks.

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Door glass guides rattle
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »
Sorry, guides, not hides.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline 197064buickspec

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 11:10:49 AM »
What pieces are you talking about? I've taken every part out of the cars I parted?

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 04:31:04 PM »
I?m referring to the steel side channels that the door glass slides up and down in. They have a fuzzy liner that provides dampening for the glass rattling around while still allowing for free movement. That fuzz is long gone or nearly gone in mine and this the glass rattles constantly while driving. Short of wedging a shim in there I can?t see a quick fix for it. Maybe some clips that I glue some similar material to? Dunno. Of course it?s only a problem with the windows down, but I?m in CA and it?s a convertible so that?s all the time.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 09:10:22 PM »
 Hi Loren & bbbbuick, A few years ago when I removed the door glass on my GS restoration project the channel that the glass sits into was rotted away. I brought the parts to my local glass shop for repair and they gave me the link to DK Hardware in FL to buy the channel. I cut the channel to required length and Mig welded it back to the window regulator. Then returned to the glass and channel/regulator to shop so they could pack the glass into the track. I saved money and the job was done properly. I do recommend DK Hardware for all your DIY glass needs.

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 03:51:18 PM »
Thanks, that looks like the part I need. I?m guessing two as they seem long enough to do one door each.
65 GS Convertible Auto