Author Topic: Local car for comparison.  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Lou Perfetto

• Buick Nut
  • All Throttle/No Bottle
Local car for comparison.
« on: June 03, 2021, 01:33:27 PM »
Hello Everyone,
  My 65 GS interior is not quite complete as far as the trim goes. When the car was gone thru it was never properly finished with the detail work.
I live in Buffalo NY. Does anyone live near me so I could take a look at your car and take the appropriate pics I would need for reference?

Thanks, Lou 
Lou
1965 Skylark GS Resto Mod 455-.30 over, Cam, Converter. 3:73,Street Slicks, 11.90's
1965 Riviera GS 2x4
1968 Camaro RS Convertible

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Local car for comparison.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 12:57:25 AM »
The picture  gallery on this site has several pictures on it that are good for reference! If you can't find a close by willing member! :headbang:

Offline Lou Perfetto

• Buick Nut
  • All Throttle/No Bottle
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 09:29:44 PM »
Hi, Thank You for the response. I think its sad that no one wants to show off there ride. I don't know if its paranoia or they just don't care. Somebody has to be near me, Oh well.... I will figure it out. 
Lou
1965 Skylark GS Resto Mod 455-.30 over, Cam, Converter. 3:73,Street Slicks, 11.90's
1965 Riviera GS 2x4

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 07:38:38 AM »
What areas are you concerned with. With some help in the problem areas, maybe we can post pictures that may answer your questions.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline 65401

• Buick Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 07:52:15 AM »
I'm in Bloomingburg NY about 4 3/4 hrs from you. I have a 65 GS convertible with an all original interior. You're more than welcome to drop by and take all the pictures you want. ...... Len

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 09:42:12 AM »
 I'm a bit farther away from you, in Southern California. My interior is all original. Would be happy to take any pictures you would like. If you happen to be in my area, feel free to stop by. Let me know in advance what you like to drink so that I can be sure to have one on ice for you.  :occasion14:

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Lou Perfetto

• Buick Nut
  • All Throttle/No Bottle
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 06:54:50 PM »
All right, Now we are talking.... Thanks guys for responding!
 Here is the problem,
1) The trim along the headliner going from the front windshield to the back side window does not look complete. Needs a filler or wrong molding?
2) The sail panels were replaced and covered with no lights. What would the measurements be to mount new ones for proper placement?
3) The trim around the back window is just some piping on my car. There is a gap. It is not right. What should the original look like?
4) There are no courtesy lights under the dash to light up the floor. What do they look like and where are they suppose to be placed?
5) I want to install a factory rear defogger. Where would the switch be mounted to turn it on and off?
6) I do not have a trunk light. What does it look like and where is it mounted?
That is what I have so far. Any help would be appreciated.   
Lou
1965 Riviera GS 2x4

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 08:50:19 PM »
All right, Now we are talking.... Thanks guys for responding!
 Here is the problem,
1) The trim along the headliner going from the front windshield to the back side window does not look complete. Needs a filler or wrong molding?
 The headliner outside edge, that's the part over the side windows I'm referring to, is covered with the wind lace to finish it .

2) The sail panels were replaced and covered with no lights. What would the measurements be to mount new ones for proper placement?
  I think it would be difficult at best to try to cut in the courtesy lamp holes with just measurements, but we can try. I'll get out an old sail panel and see what we can do. Give me a couple of days , I'll try to get you a picture with some measurements.

3) The trim around the back window is just some piping on my car. There is a gap. It is not right. What should the original look like?
  The correct trim is three plastic moldings , formed upper corners and two lower corners to finish . Should have pieces to picture for you. The pieces are reproduced in black only. They would have to be painted to go with most interiors.

4) There are no courtesy lights under the dash to light up the floor. What do they look like and where are they suppose to be placed?
   There are two under dash courtesy lamps. They go out towards the outside ends. I can get measurement for the location. I have parts here if you are interested.

5) I want to install a factory rear defogger. Where would the switch be mounted to turn it on and off?
   You will need a different part for the instrument cluster. The black area has a fourth hole marked " ACCESSORY ". Hard part to find. It is also used in convertibles with power top or station wagon with power rear window.

6) I do not have a trunk light. What does it look like and where is it mounted?
   Trunk lamp is mounted on the left side back corner of the lid. Another picture I guess is needed.
   I have a couple of them available, if interested.

That is what I have so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Loren

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:52:36 PM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Lou Perfetto

• Buick Nut
  • All Throttle/No Bottle
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 05:35:56 PM »
Loren,
Thank You for the reply. Yes, I am interested in the parts you mentioned. I will PM you with a follow up.
Happy Fathers Day to All. DRIVE YOUR CAR LIKE ITS A HOT DATE, YOU ONLY GET ONE TRIP. ENJOY IT!  :headbang: 
Lou
1965 Riviera GS 2x4

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »
Hello Lou,

I haven't been able to get a good picture of the wind lace installed on the head liner.

As for the sail panel courtesy lamp location, here are three pictures. I hope they help.

This is an original sail panel. It looks like the hole position is incorrect, but it is NOT. I think that when the panel was originally installed, it was placed too far to the rear. I compared it to another original panel and the holes match up.
As you can see, the measurements are made from the top back corner of the panel at a right angle to the top edge of the panel and also a right angle to the back edge of the panel. The point of intersection is the center of the circle.

Loren
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:50:51 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 09:58:49 AM »
Now onto item 3 of your questions.

The plastic trim parts to finish are available from aftermarket vendors, like OPGI, The Parts Place and Trim Parts Inc.
The rear window trim consists of three straight plastic pieces,  two molded plastic upper corners and two molded plastic lower corners. The unfortunate thing is that they are only available in black, so it is necessary to paint them to go with your interior color scheme.
I've attached pictures.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:01:29 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 10:16:49 AM »
Moving onto point 4.

The under dash courtesy lamps are located 3-4 inches in from the kick panels. there should be holes in the bottom of the dash already from the factory. Not all cars had the under dash courtesy lamps. It was part of a convenience package.
 I've attached a picture of the lamp bracket with socket and wiring. Also is a picture of the black connector that the lamp wiring attaches to. That male connector should be part of your dash harness already.
 In the second picture, the white wire with the brass bullet terminal is the wire that goes to the switch in the door jamb. That is existing wiring in your dash harness already. You will be looking for the black connector under your dash to connect the lamp to.
 I have original lamps and the brackets , should you need them.

Loren
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:21:43 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 10:52:24 AM »
Now onto point 5.

A factory rear window defroster.  Not sure if I have one anymore. In order to install , it is necessary to change the part under the speedometer.
Attached is a picture of the dash piece. I have one available, if you are interested.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
Your final point , 6.

Attached are a picture of a complete and correct trunk lamp for '64-'65 Buick Special and Skylark models. Also a picture of the instruction paper that would have come with an original kit.
 I do have a couple of original lamps available that I have refurbished.

Loren
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:20:29 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 05:30:16 PM »
If you'd like pictures of the trunk light installed in a 65, I can post some of my car.....as far as I know, it is how it came from the factory 56 years ago this month.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles