Author Topic: 65 GS post car  (Read 261 times)

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
65 GS post car
« on: May 30, 2021, 06:32:47 PM »
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS post car
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 07:29:36 PM »
Interesting. The interior door panels are that of a Special (I think). The transmission shifter looks like it is set up for an automatic with overdrive - not the original SP300. I don't see any signs of any HVAC ducting on the firewall, and certainly an aftermarket AC compressor - wonder how the HVAC system is set up on this one? While not true to original authenticity, it does look like a very nice & fresh vehicle. Wonder if it is a true GS?

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11:20:04 PM »
Door panels are Skylark and are correct! The Special ones are a Mylar trishield not metal! A/C unit is up behind dash/glove box. The alternator is in a interesting spot middle drivers side! Color combo looks good with red interior! Don't believe red vinyl top was offered! White and Black on Skylark GS ! Would be nice to see the body tag! Could be dealer installed vinyl too,!? documentation would be the key! According to the sign board in the trunk it is a numbers matching car with nk transmission,posi rear! Shifter or handle might be altered!? Small badge early car and looks to be correct wheels! Also maybe non rosette rivet early car!? I actually thought about putting a red top on my post as it is a red interior car also!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 11:34:54 PM by gssizzler »

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 06:44:32 AM »
Door panels are Skylark and are correct! The Special ones are a Mylar trishield not metal!
I thought all 1965 Skylark and Gran Sport interior door panels looked like the one in the attached pic showing a saddle interior color. At least all 1965 Skylarks I've ever seen had the interior door panels as in the attached picture. The 65 GS in the Hemmings listing (the red door panel in the 2nd pic) looks completely different to me.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:47:42 AM by 65GSConv »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 07:43:00 AM »
The hardtop and convertible Skylark and GS use this style ! 4 door Skylarks and most Sport Wagons also use the same pattern but in a 4 door configuration! The Special , Special Deluxe , 4 door and wagon,Skylark and  GS Post model panels fit into a track and don't roll up and over as pictured! This was a cost savings meassure! From a interior and outside trim point restoring a post car can get costly! I went 1500 miles to get the door panels and arm rest pads for my Post as they are not reproduced!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:54:10 AM by gssizzler »

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 08:08:33 AM »
Appears to be a very nice car. They were asking even more a short while ago.

The seller’s website says the transmission is a four speed automatic.

Lots to like, especially the interior. A few liberties were taken but they were done tastefully.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 08:35:59 AM »
The hardtop and convertible Skylark and GS use this style ! 4 door Skylarks and most Sport Wagons also use the same pattern but in a 4 door configuration! The Special , Special Deluxe , 4 door and wagon,Skylark and  GS Post model panels fit into a track and don't roll up and over as pictured! This was a cost savings meassure! From a interior and outside trim point restoring a post car can get costly! I went 1500 miles to get the door panels and arm rest pads for my Post as they are not reproduced!
Thanks for this clarification, gssizzler. I did not previously know the post Skylarks & GSs used a different interior door panel than the hardtop & convertible.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 10:45:45 AM »
Yes, those door panels for a post car can be very tough to find in nice shape.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto