Author Topic: Convertible sunvisor supports  (Read 537 times)

Offline 65401

• Buick Fan
Convertible sunvisor supports
« on: May 19, 2021, 11:55:51 AM »
I bought a new set of aftermarket sunvisor supports for my 65 GS convertible because the adjusting "clamp type arm that the visor plugs into" broke on both. The new set fits like crap and I'm almost positive the locating pins will give me trouble. My original supports are in real good shape except for the broken part. I'd rather use my old supports if I could only switch out the arms from the new ones to my original supports. Has anyone ever tried to take the support apart so a new arm can be used and keep everything aligned and as OEM?? I don't see anything but a round button with no way to disassemble the support... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.......

Regards,
Len

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Convertible sunvisor supports
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 10:32:18 AM »
Len,

You are very correct about the aftermarket pieces. They don't come close for the mounting holes to line up with the header.
 The round button , is a cap.  It can be removed. The issue I recall would be reattaching the piece you want to replace. If I recall correctly it is held in by the pivot point being rolled over , no screw or nut type of fastener.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline 65401

• Buick Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »
Loren, thank you for your reply, I'm going to try to "carefully" remove that cap and see what can be done. I wonder if there is rebuilder of the visor supports???  I surely can not even remotely begin to understand why an aftermarket manufacturer / supplier continually advertises and sell their products knowing full well the product can not be used as advertised.....

Online TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 04:27:05 PM »
I took one apart a few years ago.

You can drill/grind the face of the pin and then remove the "washers" that hold the flag arm, and then drill and tap the pin to hold the new flag arm, and the cap will cover that.

I should have kept the parts so I could take pics, but I tossed it.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 06:58:30 PM »

Loren, thank you for your reply, I'm going to try to "carefully" remove that cap and see what can be done. I wonder if there is rebuilder of the visor supports???  I surely can not even remotely begin to understand why an aftermarket manufacturer / supplier continually advertises and sell their products knowing full well the product can not be used as advertised.....

Len ,

All too many of these suppliers just don't care. JMO 
I'm sure TrunkMonkey is on spot for repairing these. I too have had them apart, but memory isn't serving me well on the details.

Good luck,
  Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline 65401

• Buick Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 06:42:25 AM »
This is very good information.... Do you recall how you removed the cap? I just hate destroying something only to learn how to do it right the first time....lol

Len

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 11:32:08 AM »
I used a small screwdriver to pry the cap out of the hole.  Gently!!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100