Author Topic: Rear Window Date code ?  (Read 205 times)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Rear Window Date code ?
« on: May 13, 2021, 07:59:26 PM »
  Does anyone here in the Registry know how to read the date code for the LOF glass ? Years ago when I was disassembling my post coupe I was able to remove the rear window without breaking it and stored it away, I pulled it out of storage today and gave it a good cleaning before I crate it up for the trip to the body shop to be installed when the painting is completed. Is it the original rear glass ??  I wrote down the codes that were in the center of the glass.

Safety LOF Plate                        Tony  :thumbsup:
        AS2        l J
      Solid Tempered
          M 5 1

65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Rear Window Date code ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 09:20:52 PM »
Hi Tony, I'm looking at Duane's Date code book.....
The 'AS2' to the left of the logo is the glass code.
'IJ' on the right side is the month and year code. 'I'= June, 'J'= 1965. And for others here, G= 1964, A= 1966, and Z= 1967.
The 'M51' at the bottom is the glass model number.

Those with PPG glass, the date code is also to the right of the logo. It's a simple Plant- month-year. For a January 1965 build, the code would be (plant code)-15
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 01:27:35 AM »
For the glass to be original for your post the build date of the car would have to be June or after! Since the glass is dated June of 65! What’s the build date?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:29:23 AM by gssizzler »

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 09:29:04 AM »
  My GS post coupe was a late production with a build date of 08B the second week in August so that glass is correct. The glass has a few scratches in it but since it is an original I will crate it up for the trip east.

Walt what is Duane's date code book ?  Thanks everyone for the help.

Tony :thumbsup:
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »
Duane Heckman.....Buick Guru!
He has the X-Camino, 71 GSX and the Motion 69 GS you've likely seen on the V8 site over the years. He's one of the most knowledgeable Buick GS guys out there, especially for the 70-72 GS's.
He published a book on decoding date codes about a dozen years ago.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 11:58:32 AM »
That’s great !  A really late car! The latest build date I have seen on a gs was 09A which is September first week! I wish I had  a picture! It was a midnight aqua ,white interior! Nothing like original glass especially the green tint! I have been looking for a tinted rear glass for my hardtop for like 15 years ! The repo glass is nice but the green is not the same! My post car has new windshield and rear window plus drivers door! I tried to find good originals but very difficult and it is a tinted glass car! My convertible is also all tinted glass ,going to have to probably replace the original windshield as it is  not the best! My hardtop is not tinted but is going to be! The original glass was just trashed! So I have found very nice original except that darn rear window!

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Rear Window Date code question answered.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 06:32:38 PM »
  Hi Walt, Ok yes I have seen magazine articles about his cars but I really don't remember his name.  This is really the only site that I have time for and now that we solved the problem of posting photos I would like to contribute my photos of the assembly of my GS coupe when it comes back from the painter. Thanks for the Info on the glass, now I know that you have the book If I have any further questions on glass I will ask you..

gssizzler Yes,  my post coupe is a very late production GS. When I was disassembling it for for all the welding it needed I was so careful when removing the windshield but just as I was ready to pop it out it cracked, I was very disappointed but I tried my best. So the GS will have to get a new one. I Purchased several post doors to replace my rotted ones and one had glass in it. You need to contact me after I get the GS assembled and ask me about the glass I just might have extra door glass.
   Back in the late 90s I picked up a 65 GS convertible for $400 it was rotted but it had good parts and it was a very late production. I remember it had 66 door panels on it, how they got on there I don't know, I still have the firewall plate when I come across it I will post the production date.

Tony  :thumbsup: