Author Topic: Cowl Trim Tag Decoding  (Read 399 times)

Offline GS Bill

• Buick Fan
Cowl Trim Tag Decoding
« on: February 19, 2021, 11:01:27 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm looking at a 65 Skylark HT.  Trim Tag has these numbers next to ACC:  34515.  Does anyone know what these mean?  Interior wise the car has red bucket seats, auto trans with a floor shifter and the full console with tach.

Thanks,
GS Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Welcome and cowl tag decoder. (Re: Cowl Trim Tag Decoding)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 01:30:40 PM »
Dear GS Bill and 65GS.com welcome wagon .  .

Since this is your first posting on 65GS.com, let me be the first to welcome you here! 

I'm looking at a 65 Skylark HT.  Trim Tag has these numbers next to ACC:  34515.  Does anyone know what these mean?  Interior wise the car has red bucket seats, auto trans with a floor shifter and the full console with tach.

I'm no expert on these things, but there is a cowl tag decoder on the 65GS.com website.  You can view it here:

http://65gs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/1965-Buick-VIN-plate.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't see the tag you are referring to, so someone else will probably have to step up the plate to answer your question.  Still, it might help you decode other aspects of the car you are looking into.

Do let us know if you decided buy it!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS Bill

• Buick Fan
Re: Cowl Trim Tag Decoding
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 03:21:56 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I posted the trim tag.  I haven't personally seen the car yet but have plans to.  Asked for some pictures.  The trunk floor looks a bit crusty.  Any thoughts?

Offline GS Bill

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 03:24:00 PM »
Trim tag

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 05:44:33 PM »
Looks like it was built in Fremont so limited information on the tag.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »
As stated Fremont built car! Fifth week of June , so a late build!  Hardtop, red bucket seat interior with silver cloud top and bottom paint that is a Buick only color! Looks like a new trunk pan is needed! Also has the hard to come by taillight stud cover bolts! These were put on later built cars! Is it a a/c car? Stick or auto?

Offline GS Bill

• Buick Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 07:03:28 PM »
Wow.  Didn't notice that in the pic.  No a/c.  Has the auto with a floor shift and full console and tach.  It also has the halo(?) roof mouldings.

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 09:56:38 PM »
Halo on a GS!?  I would like to see a documented one! Some up for sale have been claimed to be halo but never seen a documented one !? But as always documention is key! So possible but not likely! More likely it was added!? The floor shift console was available on the Skylark line as a option but wasn’t available right away!, so early cars didn’t get them!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:09:22 PM by gssizzler »

Offline GS Bill

• Buick Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 10:08:26 PM »
This is not a GS.  What was the option code for the halo trim?

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »
Missed that ! Not been a gs :BangHead: Don’t believe there is a option code as the halo trim was standard on skylark hardtop and post models! A very rare option was when the halo inset had vinyl in it instead of paint!  Only seen two cars like that in over 30 years! This would show on the cowl tag! A example would be R1 this would translate as red car with a white vinyl inset!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:40:31 PM by gssizzler »

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 05:41:48 AM »
Bill, welcome to the site. Good luck in buying the car. You will find that there are a number of people here that will be able to walk you through any problems or answer any questions you may have.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 06:18:46 AM »
Welcome Bill!  Good luck with your journey.

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS Bill

• Buick Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 07:56:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome!
Seems as though so far the hardest thing is to find one at a fair/reasonable price.  Had a lead on a couple but the owners moved them to consignors, maybe for winter storage, but jacked the price up 25%. Kind of frustrating.  So the hunt goes on.

Bill

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 10:37:37 AM »
Welcome Bill. Are you looking for a Skylark or a Skylark Gran Sport ? When you find one the people here can definitely help you .

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GS Bill

• Buick Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 02:45:58 PM »
Hey Dan,
I originally was looking for a convertible GS but they are a bit too costly for me at this time.
Concentrating on looking for a HT right now.  Any insight on what to look out for.  I will get an inspection before buying, but prior to that just wondering what the right questions might be to ask the seller.
I prefer buckets, automatic and floor shift.