Author Topic: Firewall Insulation  (Read 408 times)

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
Firewall Insulation
« on: February 16, 2021, 11:29:43 AM »
Understand that new firewall insulation can be purchased from CARS. I see that Dynamat offers a thermal insulation called Dynaliner and I'm wondering if others have gone with something like this. I'm probably missing something and hopeful that someone can offer futher insight.

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Generic Dynamat helps with heat and noise. (Re: Firewall Insulation)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 01:20:09 PM »
Dear Dwaine and mid-60s Buick restorers,

Understand that new firewall insulation can be purchased from CARS. I see that Dynamat offers a thermal insulation called Dynaliner and I'm wondering if others have gone with something like this. I'm probably missing something and hopeful that someone can offer futher insight.

I don't know how original you would like to be.  Firewall insulation isn't that easy to see, but I suppose judges would know the difference between OEM and modern replacements.  My trusty wagon has generic Dynamat on the firewall.  Here is a picture of it installed behind the Vintage Air evaporator unit:

Even so, it isn't very noticeable unless you crawl down low.  Here is a picture intended to show how the parking brake lever was tweaked to clear the kick-panel speakers, but it shows the area beyond the carpet:

Here is an overall view that shows how well concealed the Dynamat is.

Dynamat definitely helps reduce the noise and heat; however, there is only so much insulation can do obviously.

This was all done back in 2013, and as you mention, Dynaliner might be even easier to conceal.  On the other hand, exactly how original you want your car to be is always an issue.

I hope that's some help.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Firewall Insulation
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 04:43:53 PM »
I did my Skylark in 2019 with Kilmat brand.
Floor and inside dash.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 04:52:07 PM by Jimbo »
Jim
Chicago

Offline seanrobison65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 08:48:22 AM »
Edouard, is there a thread where you go into the process of "tweaking" that parking brake lever? I have been considering options for dealing with that exact issue, and it seems you figured it out! I would just like to know the best way of doing it without trashing my parking brake lever.

Thanks!
Sean

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Change the angle of parking brake lever bracket? (Re: Firewall Insulation)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
Dear Sean and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Edouard, is there a thread where you go into the process of "tweaking" that parking brake lever? I have been considering options for dealing with that exact issue, and it seems you figured it out! I would just like to know the best way of doing it without trashing my parking brake lever.

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how it was done because this tweak was done at Orinda Motors when they installed the Vintage Air system.  What I was told is that they modified the mounting point of the parking brake lever so that it was pivoted a bit into the cabin and therefore missed the speaker.

Let me know if you need more info and I'll try to crawl under and see if I can tell more precisely what was done.

Offline seanrobison65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 01:43:31 PM »
Thank you, Edouard! I think that will give me enough of a start to get some ideas percolating!
Sean

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »
Edouard / Jim - Thanks for the pictures on how you installed the firewall insulation. I am not so much worried about absolute correctness and was thinking that perhaps new insulating materials (sound and thermal) might be a good option to consider. Thanks again.

Dwaine

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 07:11:19 PM »
We put Dynamat in the 57 Dodge and it made a nice difference in the cab.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 08:09:25 PM »
Found in my first Buick Bugle an article about Firewall Insulators. The link to the company profiled in the article is: https://www.quietride.com/. I need to read the details a little more but it seems that they make a vacuum formed firewall insulator for 65 Skylarks. Interesting.

Dwaine

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for the QuietRide reminder. (Re: Firewall Insulation)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 01:15:44 PM »
Dear Dwaine and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Found in my first Buick Bugle an article about Firewall Insulators. The link to the company profiled in the article is: https://www.quietride.com/. I need to read the details a little more but it seems that they make a vacuum formed firewall insulator for 65 Skylarks. Interesting.

Thanks for the pointer!  I had heard of this company before but lost their URL in my maze of classic Buick bookmarks.  I did some reorganizing so I won't lose it again!