Author Topic: Wix air filter 42092  (Read 328 times)

Offline mrbuick65

• Crazy about Buick!
Wix air filter 42092
« on: February 07, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
Hey guys. Just purchased a new Wix air filter. The part # is 42092. It`s about 1/4 inch shorter than the Wix filter I removed. This filter is now made in Mexico. With it being shorter it will have an open area at the bottom inside the breather where unfiltered air can get through. Has anyone come across this? Wonder if it would be a problem? Could anyone recommend anything? Thanks, John

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Some alternative model numbers. (Re: Wix air filter 42092)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 04:51:36 PM »
Dear John and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Hey guys. Just purchased a new Wix air filter. The part # is 42092. It`s about 1/4 inch shorter than the Wix filter I removed. This filter is now made in Mexico. With it being shorter it will have an open area at the bottom inside the breather where unfiltered air can get through. Has anyone come across this? Wonder if it would be a problem? Could anyone recommend anything?

Unfortunately, I don't have the stock air cleaner anymore so I can't answer your question directly, but there a thread with model numbers for other brands of filters that are supposed to be compatible:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,4656.0.html

Perhaps one of the other brands would more closely match the OEM dimensions.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Wix air filter 42092
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 05:59:26 PM »
O Reilly’s had the ac delco A85c filters! They are decent!

Offline mrbuick65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Wix air filter 42092
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 09:07:29 AM »
Hey guys. Thanks very much for the input. I did get my problem solved regarding the gap under the filter. As the wing nut is tightened it pushes the filter down enough to seal . Normal tightness. I used a piece of string under the filter and it became tight as the nut was tightened.