Author Topic: 1965 Bucamino  (Read 1005 times)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
1965 Bucamino
« on: January 04, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »
I am finally back working in my garage, creating a Bucamino. The frame is 65 GS, four speed, factory original. The body is a 1965 El Camino that I bought in Utah for the frame and drive train. Several years ago I added rear sway bars, front disc brakes, did a valve job and repaired the rusty window channels and floor boards. I was going to sell the Elky body and use one I bought that is stripped. Recently decided to use the body that is on the chassis and getting moving on this project again. This last weekend by son in law and I bolted the modified doors and front end on the Elky, so it is now a Bucamino! Things left to do besides a body restoration: Cut out dashboard and weld in a Skylark version, a direct replacement. Weld on window channels from an Elky on Skylark sedan doors and change glass. Then the fun begins. I must replace the front third of the Elky quarter panels with those from the two door sedan. Then the back portion with wagon quarter panels. The Elky tailgate will remain, they are the same as a wagon. Then I must reassemble, after painting, the whole vehicle including converting to bucket seats. I have almost everything to make this happen. A two door sedan, three Ekly bodies, and a rusted out station wagon. I also have a drivers side NOS wagon quarter panel that I bought years ago. I have bumpers, taillights and bucket seats. Now all I need is stamina to stick with the project. BTW, this is going to be a driver for my summer months in Lakeport, California, maybe even a few parades! Pictures to come later......
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 1965 Bucamino
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 08:14:25 PM »
I am still learning how to post pictures on this site. I will have more soon. Here is a side photo of my project:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:31:54 PM by kcombs »
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 Special wagon

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:36:33 AM »
Hi,

Neat little project, is that a 65 Special in the background?

Regards,
Jim
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »
I am still learning how to post pictures on this site. I will have more soon. Here is a side photo of my project:

Neat project! I've often thought about doing the same thing.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 12:28:16 PM »
Hi,

Neat little project, is that a 65 Special in the background?

Regards,
Jim

Yes Jim, that is the donor car for the front end, doors and front of the quarter panel. The wagon right behind the Bucamino will be contributing quarter panels and rear bumper.
Kurt
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 Special wagon

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks! (Re: 1965 Bucamino)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 01:26:43 PM »
Thanks Kurt for starting this thread! 

Looking forward to following your progress!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 05:20:03 PM »
I couldn't resist enlarging your picture, Kurt.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 06:04:31 PM »
Looking forward to more pictures,sounds like a real fun project.Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 05:26:19 PM »
  Kurt, That's a great fun project that you started, and I see by the photo that you have plenty of room to keep the parts cars too. Good luck and please post the photos of your progress.

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 07:52:00 PM »
Update:

I am now fully retired and in decent health. In April I will turn 75 and have too many projects to complete. We have 2.4 acres in rural Lakport, CA that demands lots of my time and I have too many cars. I have a 2008 Chevy Colorado (Little Red) with only 70,000 miles that is my favorite to drive car. Unfortunately, or fortunately, my daughter wrecked her car so I loaned her Little Red. It is at least out of the California sun and spending this winter in Bozeman, MT. Little Red will probably be there into the fall and maybe longer. One less to deal with here. In my garage is my 1965 Skylark convertible. Very nice original yellow with black upholstery. Right now the carburetor is visiting Tom T. I will probably change the steering column and install a quick ratio power steering box before it is back on the road. Seriously considering sell the convertible. Also in my shop I have a 1972 Ford F-250 (Bruce). Had it going on twenty years. Rebuilt engine (460), transmission (C6) and rear end. New tires and it is a good looking truck for its age. Bruce is my driver now, but may go on the auction block too. Now the fun stuff.

On the other side of my shop is my 1965 El Camino that is setting on a 1965 GS frame and running gear (four speed) I am currently fixing a leak in the cross over manifold between the heads and hope to have that resolved as soon as the parts arrive from Bestoffercounts which include gaskets, hose nipple, and the thermostat housing. I don't want to have to do any rework, so I am changing everything that might have been leaking. All flat surfaces for gaskets and cleaned and have been lapped with a bastard mill file. I almost chalked the file before doing the flat scrape, but decided that was too old school. I have decided to put this ride back together and get it on the road as a driver revenge car. Chevy with a Buick powerplant! All window channels, front and back, and floorboards have been repaired, just need paint. Another reason to put it together is I have all of the glass, upholstery and most parts to put it on the road as a Chevy. I am going to have a 1965 Chevelle four row 396 radiator modified for the 401 inlet and outlet locations because the radiator install was a problem with the Elky when I bought it over 15 years ago. There is more to this story, but I won't bore you with the details. Oh, the paint job is nice.

Then comes my major project that will take years. I keep going back and forth with building a 1965 Bucamino or a two door wagon. I have most of the body parts to make either. At this point I am leaning towards driving my existing Bucamino and making the wagon. It will have El Camino door frames and one long side glass. Will decide later if it is going to be another 401 stick shift, or a 300 with a inexpensive 5 speed. AC is also a big issue as it gets a little hot around here. Still thinking about that issue. When it is completed I plan to only have the Bucamino and the wagon. I will drive on half the year and then switch. This will give me time to make modifications and repairs if needed. Neither vehicle will be a show car, just nice drivers.

That is my update for my projects. What I don't understand is how I had time to work 40 hours a week.....
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 Special wagon

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 11:57:39 AM »
Those sound like fun projects, Kurt. Your plan sounds well thought out and should satisfy your wrenching needs for quite awhile. Please bring us along on both though build threads!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 01:12:12 PM »
Cool projects, thank you for the update!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 02:59:31 PM »
Looks good...Are the elky quarters as good as they look? I am curious how much you have to do to get the Buick lines in place. Do you plan on removing quarter or rebuilding those with Buick stamp lines? It should be pretty unique one you get it together. The dash is easier than it sounds because the top can be left in place if the metal is clean and just use the buick lower. My upper dash is out of a chevelle when I was doing my Buick because I found a clean lower windshield area and spliced it in. This will be a nice one to watch going together.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for sharing. (Re: 1965 Bucamino)
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 03:19:23 PM »
Thanks Kurt for sharing with us your current plans!

Edouard

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 04:11:02 PM »
Big thumbs up. Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs