Author Topic: Best for drive quality  (Read 625 times)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
Best for drive quality
« on: January 03, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
I am back on track for building my 1965 Bucamino (it has been a few years since I spent any time in the garage but I'm back). Now I have to decide what transmission to use. I remember driving my first 1965 GS in 1968 and not liking the close ratio T-10. I switched to a three speed automatic and it was great off the line, but cruising engine speed was not good (did not change rear gears). I am looking at using the new adapter to switch to a 4L60-E. I would be removing a stock T-10. I having changed my driving habits and racing is not an issue. I have looked at five speeds and don't like having to do so many modifications to make them fit. Anyone using a 4L60-E behind a 401 or 425? If so, how do you like it? Other feedback?
Thanks in advance,
Kurt
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Should be possible to use 4L60-E. (Re: Best for drive quality)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:24:42 PM »
Dear Kurt and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I am back on track for building my 1965 Bucamino
. . . . .

Really?  That sounds like a really neat project!   :icon_thumright:  Any pictures?

. .  .
Anyone using a 4L60-E behind a 401 or 425? If so, how do you like it? Other feedback?

Hopefully, other folks will chime in, but I can tell you it appears to be possible.  The folks at Centerville Auto Repair have an bellhousing adapter.  Here is the closest that I could find on their website:

http://centervilleautorepair.com/transadaptors

This eBay listing of the same housing has a little more detail, but not much:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-NAILHEAD-Transmission-adapter-Bell-Housing-364-401-425-GM-4L60-E-overdrive-/362996028093

My understanding is that you would need an electronic controller for the 4L60-E.  There are plenty of those available as well, but that is an additional expense.  Any reason to prefer that transmission over say a 200-4R or a 700-R4?

As I said, hopefully someone with much more knowledge about these things will provide more useful details.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Best for drive quality
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:37:12 PM »
Hi Edouard,

I added a couple of pictures to the Gallery, but they are kind of distorted. I'll try to get some better pictures when I can pull the Bucamino outside,
but it might rain tomorrow. The Bucamino is a complete 1965 Skylark GS frame and drive train with a 65 El Camino body sitting on it. It is an original four speed frame with a T-10. The next steps in the primary part of the conversion is to replace the steal around the top of the door with an El Camino piece and change the glass. Then replace the front part of the quarter panel with the same section from a two door sedan. Then replace the back part of the quarter panel with a 65 wagon part. I have all the sheet metal and NOS taillights and a good bumper. the tailgate will remain El Camino as they are the same except for the glass in a wagon tailgate. I have the correct radiator guard for the GS. Correct glove box door and many other parts. Will be replacing dashboard with Buick sheet metal dash. Biggest challenge is getting the correct wiring and painting. Oh, I am still trying to figure out how to reassemble the doors and front end without ruining the paint when I am doing the final assembly.
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for the Bucamino photos! (Re: Best for drive quality)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 01:10:06 PM »
Dear Kurt and mid-60s Buick restorers,

I added a couple of pictures to the Gallery, but they are kind of distorted. I'll try to get some better pictures when I can pull the Bucamino outside,
but it might rain tomorrow.  . . . .

Thanks for sharing!  Here is a link to the photos for anyone else that is curious:

http://www.65gs.com/photogallery/thumbnails.php?album=27

The Bucamino is a complete 1965 Skylark GS frame and drive train with a 65 El Camino body sitting on it. It is an original four speed frame with a T-10.
. . . .

This will be really interesting as it unfolds!  :hello2:

The next steps in the primary part of the conversion is to replace the steal around the top of the door with an El Camino piece and change the glass.
. . . .

This sounds like a project that really needs it own restoration thread!  You could start one in this topic:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/board,9.0.html

That would make it easy for us to follow along and you could ask any questions that come up along the way.

Thanks for sharing!  Looking forward to hearing more about this project!  :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 01:28:15 PM »
I had a wide ratio T-10 in my '64 Skylark. Put a Gear Vendors behind it because everyone drives 80MPH in the slow lane...

The T-10 trashed third gear and the cluster, time and money to get a Richmond Super T-10 (3 months minimum) I went with a Tremec TKO500.
I had to cut and raise the tunnel and that affected the carpet lay, so I ordered the carpet "untrimmed".

Now Tremec has the TKX, which is designed to fit A-Bodies without having to modify the tunnel.

If you like a pedal car, look into that as an option.

https://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=183

There are several places that sell "kits", American Powertrain, Modern Driveline etc. (I purchased mine from Modern Driveline).

Now, I can run 80-90 at about 2800 RPM, and get great mileage!

Hope that helps.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 03:05:44 PM »
I remember driving my first 1965 GS in 1968 and not liking the close ratio T-10.

In regards to this statement, I know all the Buick literature says Borg Warner T-10 close ratio (sales, service, etc.). Yet when you look at the ratios of the 1965 BW T-10, they nearly match that of the Muncie wide-ratio 4-speed. And Muncie had a close ratio 4-speed, where 1st & 2nd gears were lower ratios. So I think the 1965 regular Skylark & GS Borg Warner T-10's were really wide-ratio transmissions.

But I think it is 4th gear (1:1 ratio) that is the issue here, right?  A 1:1 ratio transmission with a 3:36:1 ratio rear axle does have the engine running pretty fast at highway speeds (which is true regardless if the 4-speed manual was close or wide ratio, as 4th gear is always 1:1 on these 4-speeds).

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 06:26:33 PM »
Hi we ran a rebuilt 200r4 behind a 430 w455 heads,edelbrock  intake ,holley carb mild cam headers 3:30 posi b& m shift control for 20,000 miles still going strong. Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs