Author Topic: Painting Interior  (Read 281 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Painting Interior
« on: October 28, 2020, 09:29:13 AM »
I’m painting my dash and steering column to match the new body color and I’m having a problem with what I believe is silicon residue on the steering column. I have sanded it to almost bare metal and painted it twice but continue to get excessive fisheying in the paint.
I have sanded and then wiped with paint thinners, 98% alcohol, hot water and soap but continue to get a distorted fisheyed finish.
I’ve read some people have had success with WD40 but have not tried that yet. Any suggestions.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline 197064buickspec

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Painting Interior
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »
WD40 will cause fish eyes in paint. You want to stay away from anything with oil in it.

I would just hit your local body shop paint store and get some grease and wax remover.

If you're interior is still in the car and if it's loaded up with the same stuff that may be part of the issue.

Same if all your dash components are still in the car silicone or the chemicals may be on them or in the cracks.

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »
I agree with 197064buickspec, wax and grease remover.
 Make sure you primer the parts ,let them dry for at least 24 hrs. Lightly sand with 400 or scotch brite pad...then paint.
Jim
Chicago

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:24:27 AM »
After I clean with grease and wax remover I wash with dish soap, and rinse,  this has worked well for me.

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
Kevin,
If you have sprayed armor all or another protectant anywhere near the part your finishing it will be nearly impossible to get it out of air. Try the wax and grease remover and maybe some acetone on a paper towel before spraying. The acetone has more of a cutting strength than lacquer thinner and you may just be smearing the contaminant around on the surface. They do make an additive to eliminate fish eyes,but I found once you start using it in the shop....sometimes you have to keep using it because it seems to contaminate on its own as dumb as it sounds.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 10:27:52 PM »
Dan, at some point someone used Armor All or a silicone lubricant on or around the tilt column.  The paint on the dash came out fine so I believe the column was contaminated outside the car.   I need to transport the car in my trailer to the paint shop, having steering is a must.  I’ll pull the column when I get the car back home to reduce cross contamination and try all the above suggestions. In the mean time I’ve wrapped it in plastic and taped it up.
Thanks to everyone for the ideas and suggestions, I’ll report back in a couple weeks with results.     
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:31:34 PM »
I've had good results using Pro Clean Up from Crown, strips off anything. Use it after sanding prep is done. Strong stuff though, wear gloves and ventilate.
65 GS Convertible Auto