Author Topic: harness belt add to rear seats  (Read 333 times)

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
harness belt add to rear seats
« on: September 25, 2020, 01:00:28 PM »
I'm thinking of adding harness straps to the rear belts for my kids and I'm looking for anyone who may have done something similar. They're legal with the lap belts but are tall enough now that if I had to hammer on the brakes their heads would hit the front seats (I'd have a visit with the steering wheel but that's another issue). I'm planning to get some add on straps that would run over the back of the seat and anchor to the existing belt bolts. I'll have to use two short belt straps for each as I need the "Y" style to avoid them slipping out, or I'll have to drill new anchor holes in the pan. Anyone done this, or something like it?

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: harness belt add to rear seats
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 02:28:23 PM »
I added longer belts to accommodate child car seats for the grandkids but did not do the harness. The longer belts seem to work fine even now that the kids are out of the car seats.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »
I'm thinking of adding harness straps to the rear belts for my kids and I'm looking for anyone who may have done something similar. They're legal with the lap belts but are tall enough now that if I had to hammer on the brakes their heads would hit the front seats (I'd have a visit with the steering wheel but that's another issue). I'm planning to get some add on straps that would run over the back of the seat and anchor to the existing belt bolts. I'll have to use two short belt straps for each as I need the "Y" style to avoid them slipping out, or I'll have to drill new anchor holes in the pan. Anyone done this, or something like it?

Elvin

Sounds like a good idea. I would think you could reinforce the bottom of the rear package shelf and add the rear shoulder belts from a late model. It will take a bit of engineering.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline damiont42

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 02:06:38 PM »

Elvin

Sounds like a good idea. I would think you could reinforce the bottom of the rear package shelf and add the rear shoulder belts from a late model. It will take a bit of engineering.

Loren

This is precisely what I was hoping to find in this thread. I have the exact same need. Kids are not able to ride in the car without 3-points. As it has been a few months, have you already found a solution? Pictures would be much appreciated.

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
I got bogged down getting the car back on the road with a lengthy bumper rechrome job, so this was put on the back burner for a bit. I was looking at this as a solution...

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30498140-4-point-y-harness-lift-latch-buckle.html

They would match the factory belts reasonably well, however the Y design may cause rubbing on the neck and I won't be able to tell until I mock up for install. Some padded sleeves could probably help with that. The racing harness versions look more comfortable but are pretty ugly and would require additional mount points. Loren's suggestion of appropriating a later model set may also be a good option. I was trying to do something effective but aesthetically pleasing. Safety will likely win over style, or the kids only ride around town with the lap belts.
65 GS Convertible Auto