Author Topic: steering lower bearing washer  (Read 371 times)

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
steering lower bearing washer
« on: August 12, 2020, 01:24:27 PM »
Howdy Gents,

So my lower steering bearing disintegrated. The upper bearing seems fine, though I did not disassemble the collar area since that is such a PIA job, but rotation is smooth and noise free so I am just going to cross fingers it'll last. Not sure where you find that bearing if it goes. I got the repop lower from OPGI which fits great, however, on the schematic for the 4-speed column (closest version to the auto floor shift I'd guess) it shows a washer between the bearing and the column clamp. I didn't find a washer in disassembling and can't find anyone who has taken any pics of their column, at least not detailed pics of this area. Anyone know if this washer exists on theirs? It would have to be a 3/4" washer and for it to work it would have to be somewhat thick as I would think it is used to press the inner bearing race up against the notch in the column. Otherwise I'm not sure how the clamp keeps the bearing in place. I've seen some pictures of chevelle columns that use a spring between the clamp and the bearing but that is definitely not in the manual. Info on columns is tough to find so hoping one of you has gone through a rebuild or has an original to reference. Thanks.

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: steering lower bearing washer
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »
I had this pic on file from my 66. Shows the bearing, washer, and coupler flange.
There is a spring in the assembly, but it's at the steering wheel end.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: steering lower bearing washer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 02:06:57 PM »
Thanks for the pic Walt. I fabbed up a washer yesterday. Your image confirms size. The other thing it points to is that my column is missing a retention screw/bolt for the plastic bearing guide. I'll go through the buckets and see if I have something that works.

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto