Author Topic: Front wheel bearings  (Read 523 times)

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Front wheel bearings
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:41:29 PM »
I'm planning to repack my front bearings this weekend. It's been a long time. Any words of wisdom as I embark on this task?

Online TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
Re: Front wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 03:22:53 AM »
Clean everything to the point you would not have any trouble eating off it.

Check for any damage, scoring and such on the spindles, and were the inner bearing race contacts the spindle.

(figuring you are using new bearings and races and reaces ar properly pressed)

I put a glop of grease on a flat piece of waxed/butcher/parchment paper and "swirl" the bearing in small circles in the grease (cone/base down, small side up) until grease is coming up throgh the top, or glop on palm, and start "digging" the base in the grease in the palm until it is coming through the top, rotate and continue until the entire bearing is filled. and then install the rear bearing, then the seal in the drum/hub, set the drum/hub in the sppindle.

Then do the same for the outer bearing, and install it, then the retaining washer, put the spindle nut on and torque to 25 ft lbs to seat bearings, then back off nut and tighten by hand until you get to the point that you can get the cotter pin in.

You do not want any more pressure against the bearings than the absoulute minimum of torquque.

If you over torque, even by a small amount, the deformation of the bearing cage and the pressure pushing the rollers aganst the race will result in rapid wear, scoaring or galling of bearings and race.  The intent is that the bearings ride on the race, with a light film of grease between the surfaces. Too tight and it is metal against metal, which is not the intended engineering.

It is easier to over torque than under torque wheel bearings. (learned from aviation maintenance and near 200 hundred MPH and more than 100,000 pounds of weight in wheels....)

And I love "Red and Tacky" for wheel bearings as it ensures a good supply of grease is always in contact with surfaces.  That stuff is persistant as all get out.

Hope that helps.  :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:26:04 AM by TrunkMonkey »
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 08:53:53 PM »
Agreed Mike... I still use WB grease (red) with a fiber additive... kinda like real fine kitty-hair. I also take a paint mixing stick and "line" the inside of the hub with enough that once it would get hot and melt somewhat, it would probably lay level with the ID of the larger inner bearing. Rolling would cause a rollover of the grease for fresh stuff continually. Kinda like filling the front hubs on a semi with 90-140 wheel bearing OIL.

As to the job at hand, also inspect the wheel cylinders for weeping. Make sure the shoe plungers from the WC are nice and shiny. They get rusty and score the rubber dust seals and leak. Just a thought...    Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Online TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 01:48:31 AM »
^^^
Yeps on all you said.  I use the red and tacky stuff.

(sorry about the typos in my reply, was having a bout of insomnia, so I got up and was noodling on the net, and not paying attention to details)
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
Just to add to this conversation. I was taught in tech school the one reason for putting a layer of grease on the inside of the hub kept condensation from being created inside the hub area.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division