Author Topic: Interior panels  (Read 505 times)

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Interior panels
« on: July 29, 2020, 09:44:56 PM »
The interiors section here doesn't get as much traffic as other (more fun) topics like engines. But here goes:
I have been unable to locate a driver panel for my Skylark. The hope was, with the others being in nice condition that I could find one and paint it all. The driver was upholstered in different material so the original is gone.
Short of having to break down and have Legendary do it ($$$) does anyone have any suggestions?
I fortunately kept the original armrests, but they are in bad condition and something would need to be done to then, too.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Interior panels
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 08:53:56 AM »
 Super65lark,

I've seen your wanted post here and on v8Buick. It seems the driver door took most of the wear, so I can see why you aren't getting much response.  Presently I'm still stuck in Florida. Hopefully will be back in Nebraska and I can see if I might have a decent driver side for your hardtop.
If I do, it most likely will be a black one.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 10:29:54 PM »
Thanks Loren.
 Whenever you get a chance, I'm here.

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 07:06:45 PM »
I have thought of a different approach to my door panels, maybe others could use it too.
I find that custom color vinyl paint can be made and bought online. The trick is, the dielectric sealing that was used to make horizontal pleats. If one could master that, or even just get it 'good enough' that would be a much, much cheaper way to get a panel into driver condition.

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »
If Loren can not find a decent panel,the PUI panels are a decent reproduction and not as pricey as the Legendary kit. The upper metal and stainless must be re-usable in order to assemble.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Buick-Skylark-GS-Black-Front-Door-Panels-PUI/271794331593?fits=Year%3A1965%7CModel%3ASkylark&hash=item3f48345fc9:g:kHEAAOSwojdbQIS3

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Panels on eBay right now? (Re: Interior panels)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick interior decorators,

I know this problem has dragged on for while and I don't know if you solved it some other way.  However just in case,  Someone has some 1965 interior door panels on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-All-Interior-Door-Panels-Buick-Special-Skylark-2-door-Complete-Originals/324339730755

FYI, . . . . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
Those emblems looks decent too. Bad thing is the condensation on the back of the panels. They probably smell really musty. New ones won't.
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »
Thank you Edouard.. I will keep an eye on this.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
How is Ruthy doing these days? (Re: Interior panels)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 01:15:11 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thank you Edouard.. I will keep an eye on this.

So what's the latest news on your 1965 'Lark Ruthy?  Has the weather cooled down enough that you have been able to get some pleasant autumn drives in?

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »
I had yet another thought, maybe a better one, if Loren can't make it back home or locate the panel. I can buy a set of PUI panels and then sell the passenger one. So, if anyone wants one, tell me and I can order that color. I would color match mine.
Unfortunately the guy selling the panels on ebay doesn't want to separate for good reason.

Ruthy is well, Edouard. I drive her often, and usually just keep within a 5 mile radius, should something happen. This is small town California, and there are no tow companies here. I don't pay for extra insurance.
Always toying with these grandiose ideas but in reality I have little time to make them come to fruition. Cheers, pal.   :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Better to drive just a bit than take risks! (Re: Interior panels)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I had yet another thought, maybe a better one, if Loren can't make it back home or locate the panel. I can buy a set of PUI panels and then sell the passenger one. So, if anyone wants one, tell me and I can order that color. I would color match mine.
Unfortunately the guy selling the panels on ebay doesn't want to separate for good reason.

Best of luck in getting this problem resolved!  :thumbsup:

Ruthy is well, Edouard. I drive her often, and usually just keep within a 5 mile radius, should something happen. This is small town California, and there are no tow companies here. I don't pay for extra insurance.

Glad to hear that Ruthy is getting some exercise.  Considering all the craziness in California, Biquette is being limited to short hops as well.  I do pay for Hagerty's road-side assistance, but given my one experience with it - I'm not exactly sure I'm getting my money's worth! 

Always toying with these grandiose ideas but in reality I have little time to make them come to fruition. Cheers, pal.   :occasion14:

Ditto on that as well!  As if I didn't have enough to do, it is "Public Safety Power Shutoff" season!  . .  :angryfire:  I just finished test running our portable generator:

According to the latest prognosis from Pacific Gas and Electric, our generator will have a busy Monday at least!

Just another day in . . . . . . . paradise?   :icon_scratch:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »

I had been looking for the door panel I recalled having. Finally located it.  It is not as good as I had recalled. There are no tears in it, but the board is quite warped. I think it was from my first convertible, many , many years ago.

See the attached pictures,  Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Les M.

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
Super65lark, If you don't find what you want, I have a black one but the emblem is gone. Thank you, Les