Author Topic: Ride height and stance  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Bigpig455

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Fastest of the Slow!
Ride height and stance
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:22:03 AM »
I saw a picture of John's car on the forum and liked the ride height and stance, so I  PM'd him for details and the following is what he wrote back. He also suggested I move the conversation to the forum if anybody else wanted to add their two cents.

Also - Dan/dsags: I'll PM you too but if you have the spring specs handy on the set you had made I'ld love to see them.

Thanks, Rhett

Hi Rhett,

If you are asking about the red convertible's stance, here the details. Yes, after 45 years the springs will get weak. However, our GSs from the factory sit lower than most of us musclecar nuts would like to see. When I restored the convertible, I had the springs specially made and had them add one inch in height to both front and rear springs. I used standard Delco shocks, but found that the back still did not set up as high as I wanted so I put on airshocks in the back. I'm not total satisfied yet so I plan to add a 3/4" or 1" spacer under the rear springs as the air shocks are at their limit now. Dan Ankeny, who goes by "dsags" on the website, recently replaced his springs and shocks to get his stance up in the air with the rear slightly higher than the front. See the gallery for photos. You might also ask him about his details. He needed the room for some larger wheels and tires. I think it looks fantastic. Let me know if you need info on the Coil spring business where Dan and I got our springs made. Pricing was similar to what you'd pay from Year One, Part Place or OPGI.

You made a comment about the orangeish color of your paint. Unless this was a total complete paint job, you might find the original Flame Red paint color by taking off a interior door panel. That is what I did to have a guide when mixing paint to match the original factory red.

Don't hesitate to ask me or post something on the website whenever you have questions. I glad to see that Bob's GS ended up in good hands. It's a great looking convertible. You found a very desirable GS.

John Egel
nut465gs@aol.com 

1965 Gran Sport Conv.
1973 Gran Sport Stage 1 4-spd
1971 GS455 Stage 1 hdtp
1972 Pontiac Grandville Conv.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Ride height and stance
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »
Rhett,
There are no spring specs. I used Coil Spring Specialties - http://www.coilsprings.com/default.aspx - per John Egel's suggestion. What I asked for was a coil spring that gave the same ride as the original but made the car sit twoo inches higher. I had been using air shocks before that. Ride is great on the new springs. You can mention my name at Coil Spring Specialties (Dan Ankeney) they may have the specs on file. Here is an enlargement of my avatar.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Bigpig455

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Fastest of the Slow!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:47:31 PM »
Yep - that just looks right to me..

I have air shocks too. I never liked them in any other car I've had, and these leak down anyway.

I'll give those folks a call.

Thanks, for weighing in -

Rhett
1965 Gran Sport Conv.
1973 Gran Sport Stage 1 4-spd
1971 GS455 Stage 1 hdtp
1972 Pontiac Grandville Conv.

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:14:12 PM »
Hi

I got a set of springs for a company called John R Spring in MI, years ago they were not designed for a A-body had to cut off one small coil to get it to fit in the upper pocket and were a muliti rate spring when I got them her said they sold them to alot of GTO & Chevelle owners and give you a slight rake but nothing too extreme 

15 years later still no sag I actually used them in my 65 skylark/GS frame and drive train and still sit just right want to get a set for my other cars

Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)