Author Topic: Cam bearing replacement  (Read 326 times)

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Cam bearing replacement
« on: May 20, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
I'm wondering what I should expect to pay if I had an engine builder R&R the camshaft bearings on my 300cu.in. Assume the bore needs some machine work. Also, I'm in southern california.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Cam bearing replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
Are you talking piston bore or cam tunnel bore? If youre gonna have a shop do the overhaul, they are automatically going to want to pull the old bearings before a hot tank. The chemical cleaners are caustic and will attack the cam bearing shell plating. Bearings are pretty cheap and the install is less than an hour. Is the shop familiar with Buick stuff?  Theres probably some oiling mods youd like to do while its apart.   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 10:18:03 PM »
Yeah see that's the trouble Bill, I can't go down that rabbit hole if I'm going to accomplish this.
Back when I was tinkering with the engine, I took the cam out to replace it with something nicer. I noticed cracked cam bearing and it was at that point, I had no money, and replaced it with the SBC.
If I can get this engine back in the car right now it's going to just have to be as-is, what's absolutely necessary and no more. I want to original trans back too, and it needs rebuilt because the reverse never worked.
i have very little money to spend.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 05:50:17 AM »
Man can I ever relate to the $$$ situation! So right now theres an SBC in the car with a cracked cam bearing?  If you can swing the bearing and gaskets, rent a cam bearing tool. Usually a freebie with a deposit and DIY.  The tool makes it easy. Youtube replacing cam bearings and youll see. Just dont get too deep into thatrabbit hole that you cant see daylight LOL! Been there, done that...   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Keep your options open? (Re: Cam bearing replacement)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »
Dear Iain, Bill, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I'm wondering what I should expect to pay if I had an engine builder R&R the camshaft bearings on my 300cu.in. Assume the bore needs some machine work. Also, I'm in southern california.

Bill is giving you good advice if you are trying to keep costs at the absolute minimum.  However, you need to feel comfortable with the DYI end of things.  Something else to consider is that you might be able to ship the engine out of state and save yourself enough to pay for the shipping.  You are in a better location as far as car culture is concerned, but the cost of land and labor makes everything expensive on California.

Why the sudden interest in the Buick 300 V-8?  Just feeling the itch to put Ruthy's original engine back or is the SBC showing signs of trouble?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:21:10 PM »
Yes Edouard, I am thinking I want to put the car back to original. There's nothing wrong with the SBC and I might get decent money for it.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
How many miles on the engine? (Re: Cam bearing replacement)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 01:05:38 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Yes Edouard, I am thinking I want to put the car back to original. There's nothing wrong with the SBC and I might get decent money for it.

So how many miles are on the original 300?  Did you make some checks before replacing it like cylinder compression and stuff?  You need to assess if just replacing that bearing is likely to give you a few years of life before the engine requires a rebuild.  Your other issue is fixing the ST-300.  You might have search a bit to find a tranny shop that would be comfortable making that repair.  You might consider using another transmission at least temporarily.  What transmission does Ruthy have now?  Biquette had a TH-350 with a BOP bell housing that performed well for decades.  If the cost of repairing the ST-300 is more than you can afford at the moment, maybe you could find someone with used but serviceable BOP transmission that you could purchase at a lower cost than the repair.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:25:48 PM by elagache »

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 04:27:47 PM »
The original engine had very low miles. The clock could have turned over but the lack of a ridge makes me think it was the original 45 thousand. The st300 for sure needs work. And, good point, I am using a th350 that is working well right now.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Bell housing adapter? (Re: Cam bearing replacement)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

The original engine had very low miles. The clock could have turned over but the lack of a ridge makes me think it was the original 45 thousand.

Well in that case, perhaps you should try to find a way to replace that bearing.

The st300 for sure needs work. And, good point, I am using a th350 that is working well right now.

I forgot that you can buy an adapter to bolt a Chevy transmission to a Buick engine.  I'm not sure what's involved, but that way you could put Ruthy's original engine back but stick with your reliable TH350.  That is probably the most economical way to go.