Author Topic: Making the repaired inner rear wheel well fit tight against the new trunk floor.  (Read 205 times)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
 JimL65 asked me to post how I fit a new trunk pan against a repaired inner  wheel well on my 65 GS restoration project. The trunk was so rusted out that the rust went up the wheel well on both sides. After cutting out all the rust I made patches and Mig welded them in, then when I went to fit the left side trunk pan in. It would not fit in because the patch was not contoured to match the trunk pan. The work came to stop !! So I took a break had a beer & a sandwich and had an idea  :idea1: If i heated the lower part of the wheel well enough to make it soft, then push the left side of the trunk pan against it and hold it in place so the well would conform to the pan.. Since I had no other ideas, I gave it a try. I took out my heavy duty welding gloves, safety glasses, fire extinguisher, 2x3x12 inch wood, welding clamps. and oxy- acetylene torch.
   I heated the lower section of the left well until it was red hot, then shut off the torch and quickly pushed the left trunk pan against it, then used the block of wood to hold it down. as it cooled I placed several clamps on the front & rear to hold it in place while I kept pressure downward with the wood until it cooled down enough. The wood burned but my idea worked and I did not get hurt. So I did the same for the right side too. Then fitted and welded in the center section.. The whole job took me three days to complete..
   Note: Since I had completely cut out the trunk floor, removed the gas tank,wires,trunk lid, tires, glass, and I was standing up, this procedure was quite simple. I don't recommend doing this on a very hot day in July as I did because I was completely covered for safety and the GS was in the driveway not in the garage, again for safety.

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
Tony, good post and ingenuity.
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks Tony!
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear Tony, Don, Jim, and mid-60s Buick restorers,

JimL65 asked me to post how I fit a new trunk pan against a repaired inner  wheel well on my 65 GS restoration project.
. . . .
   Note: Since I had completely cut out the trunk floor, removed the gas tank,wires,trunk lid, tires, glass, and I was standing up, this procedure was quite simple. I don't recommend doing this on a very hot day in July as I did because I was completely covered for safety and the GS was in the driveway not in the garage, again for safety.

I'm glad it all worked out, but indeed I'm sure in hindsight you would have chosen a period when the weather wasn't so hard on you!  I hope you were no worse than dehydrated for the exercise!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: