Author Topic: Console "slider"  (Read 3568 times)

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
Console "slider"
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
Hi, I'm looking for the plastic slider piece that goes around the shift lever in my 65 automatic console.  Anybody have one or know where I can get one?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

65 Skylark GranSport Convertible, 401 automatic, all stock and mostly original
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: Console "slider"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:24:02 PM »
I wonder if there is a Chevelle, Nova or Pontiac piece that is being repo'd that would work?

If not, this would be an easy piece to have made at a water jet shop.

I bet that if you could stacked up enough black plastic sheets and cut a bunch of them out at once, this might justify the cost and time at the shop to make the project a little profitable (you'd never retire from it obviously).

Anyone interested in doing this project?  We had one guy here that had a water jet and he's out of business now thanks to the recession.   

I know a guy with a parts website that is looking to add more parts to the list....  hint. hint..    :hello2:

Hey, I think I have that website address right here.....

www.DamnGoodAutoParts.com

:rocker:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »
I bought one on Ebay, I think, it was about 2 years ago.  They are being reproduced, just have to search for them.  If I wasn't so old, I could remember where I got it.  I will keep looking.  I think the listing said it was for a Riviera but work great on my Skylark GGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Tom
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
Guys - thanks for the replies.  As far as a Chevelle one working, it's a different size (much wider).  They are being produced by OPGI.  I bought one thinking I could trim it down, but it was made of a cardboard type of material, and I ended up breaking it when I was trying to trim it down.  Somebody at the BOP show here in Southern California had a Buick console for sale that had the piece I needed, and it looked like it was made of thick but flexible plastic.  I should have bought the console and takent that piece, then put the console on e-bay or offered it here, but oh well.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:56:46 PM »
Keith,
 I made mine from a piece of black plastic that was approximately .024" thick.
We have that type of material at my work, but it has a slight grain pattern to it. The original was smooth.
Need a sample?

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
     Keith

If you can't get a repro, let me know. 16 years ago I purchased some flexable black plastic for the same reason.
I was restoring my Convertible and the plastic slider was missing ! After a long search I found some really good black plastic at a plastics wholesale/retail shop on the lower east side of Manhattan. I purchased more than I needed. I made the piece that I needed and still have some left over. Just let me know and I can send you some.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:46:56 AM »
Keith,
 I made mine from a piece of black plastic that was approximately .024" thick.
We have that type of material at my work, but it has a slight grain pattern to it. The original was smooth.
Need a sample?

Loren

Loren - sent you a PM (I think!).

Thanks,

Keith
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:51:00 AM by campfamily »

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »
Keith,
Got the pm , sent reply

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
     Keith

If you can't get a repro, let me know. 16 years ago I purchased some flexable black plastic for the same reason.
I was restoring my Convertible and the plastic slider was missing ! After a long search I found some really good black plastic at a plastics wholesale/retail shop on the lower east side of Manhattan. I purchased more than I needed. I made the piece that I needed and still have some left over. Just let me know and I can send you some.

Tony

Tony - thanks for the reply, Loren is sending me out a piece of what he's got.  Appreciate the help and assistance from all of you guys.  What did we ever do before the Internet?

Keith

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 06:38:25 PM »
It was called USmail. A lot more activity with car clubs. A fair amount of garage time with the "guys", building cars into the weee hours of the mornings. Bench racing with a couple of friends and some cold ones,etc,etc.

It was a lot of fun!

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:46:46 AM »
Yeah, the Internet is a mixed bag.  On the positive, it really opens up the number of people that we can communicate with, because it is so easy.  Negative, it makes the interaction much less personal.  When the only communication is a keyboard and monitor, makes it hard to really get to know people.

The one common thread that I've found with respect to this hobby, however, whether it be Internet or face to face, is the willingness to help out the other guy.  Loren, you're evidence of that.  Thanks again for the help.

Keith

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »
I personally think it's a blessing especially for us 65 guys.

The reality is that we are a very small and niche group of car guys that is spread out throughout the world.

I've met more 65 guys in person with the help of the internet than I'm sure I would've ever met by just picking some shows and trying my luck.

I think we get the best of all worlds as we can keep in touch on a normal basis, exchange parts and advice and plan out the events that will bring us face to face.

To me it's just another way to communicate and it's up to us to make it as personal as we choose to.

No wrong opinions here.. just my personal outlook on it...    :wave:

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
I agree with all points brought up.
I know a few of the '65 guys, and at the BCA nats got to meet Ted face to face. Added bonus.

Latter,
Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »
Since I bought my 65 (wanted one since high school, finally able to do it), the only other 65'ers I've met have been over the Internet.  Some have led to face-to-face meetings, but most haven't, primarily due to distance involved.  Example, I've had numerous conversations with Carmen Faso regarding problems I was having with my flexplate.  I knew of him from stuff I'd read, but only really found out what he was doing from the Internet (the man is a legend!!).  He was able to steer me in the right direction and help fix (I hope) my problem.  Ditto for this.  There don't seem to be as many people like us (Buick folks, and more specifically 65GS people) on the west coast; most of you guys seem to be in the northeast or midwest.  Without the Internet, I doubt I would have ever hooked up with any of you.

Thanks to all who responded to my thread.   :thumbsup:

Keith

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »
The internet is good but I'll take that old fashioned bonding with some buddies in the garage over a couple beers and the opened hood of a 65 any day. :occasion14:

I'll settle for what I can get.  :icon_thumright:

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2