Drivetrain > The Dual Quad

1963 to 1965 Buick Riviera Dual Quad Chrome Air Cleaner

(1/4) > >>

65GSConv:
Does anyone know if the 1963-1965 Buick Riviera 401/425 Dual Quad Chrome Dual Snorkel air cleaner is an exact factory OEM for the 1965 Buick Skylark GS Dual Quad setup (as in, would pass BCA judging)?

WkillGS:
Well.... the Skylark GS wasn't officially available with the 2x4 option. Therefore if a 2x4 setup was installed, whether by the dealer or new owner, it would have the same parts as the other offerings such as the Riv.

cwmcobra:
What Walt said.... :headbang:

65GSConv:
So the Riviera's of 1963-1965 did not have a possibility of different carburetors than those provided "unofficially" for the 65 Skylark GS? They were all Carter AFB's? And the Riviera 425's used the same Carter AFB's as the Riviera 401 on dual quad setups?

Related - the story on the 1965 Skylark Gran Sport was that the dual quad setup could be sent by the factory with the car to the dealer for dealer installation. I also thought I read somewhere on this forum that the distributor was unique, and there was a unique cam, besides the intake manifold, carbs, air cleaner, and valve covers. Did dealers go as far as replacing the distributors and take the engine apart to install the replacement cam?  Maybe to ask the question a little differently - what was all in the box that the factory provided and the dealer installed to make this conversion prior to buyer pickup?

cwmcobra:
The dual quads were factory installed only on Riviera and Wildcat Gran Sport models starting in 1965 model, I believe, and those were all 425's.  The Rivieras were all mated with the automatic transmission.  The Wildcats were available with either the automatic or a 4-speed transmission.  The dual quads were not installed from the factory on the 401 in any model. 

Yes, the dual quad engines had different distributors that had a different spark curve and were installed with different initial timing set.  All used Carter AFBs, with the same front carbs and different rear (primary) carbs.  The correct rear carbs for the manual transmission application are really rare and hard to find in the wild.  Due to the fact that the number of 4-speed Wildcat GS models sold was very small compared with the automatics in the Wildcat and Riviera GS models.

The only documentation I"m aware of for dealer conversion of 65 & 66 Skylark GS's is provided in a TSB from Buick Technical Service.  It's Buick Zone Service Bulletin No. 620 dated April 15, 1966.  A copy is attached.

The only downside to the factory setup on the Buicks is that big air cleaner really hides all the "coolness" underneath!  :BangHead:

:cheers2:

Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version