Author Topic: Recommendations for a quality electric multimeter?  (Read 628 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Recommendations for a quality electric multimeter?
« on: April 14, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who have to make their own electrical repairs,

Yesterday, I needed to check the current draw on my sister's 2009 Chevy Cobalt.  When I pulled out my Sears multimeter, it reported absolutely zero current.  Here is a picture of the "patient."

As you can see it is one of those "made in China" items.  However, I can't complain too much.  It was purchased sometime after I moved to San Diego in 1996.  Fortunately, I still have my Dad's older multimeter:

I don't know when this was purchased, but I think it likely it was purchased around or before 1970.  Here is the Wikipedia article on the history of Lafayette Radio Electronics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_Radio_Electronics

As you can see, Dad kept the tester in its original box and it is in very good condition considering it did get used.  I was able to read the current draw on my Sister's car with it.

In the meantime, I am in need of a replacement of my current digital multimeter.  I could purchase another Layafette Radio Electronics tester:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LAFAYETTE-Radio-Electronics-20-000-OHMS-per-Volt-Multitester-99-5008/174248888030

However, I think I would prefer something more modern.  Any recommendations for a multimeter that can be expected to last 25 years or so?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Recommendations for a quality electric multimeter?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
Fluke.
Jerry

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:53:52 PM »
I hafta agree that a FLUKE is the top of the high end meters, but honestly? I have a half dozen multi-meters from harbor fright. Usualy buy anything ($1.00?) and get one free. I have them all over and haven't had a failure short of a dead battery. If it craps out, it goes in the circular file.

I prefer analog to digital just in case you ned to see needle deflection versus having to read and analyze what yer reading for a "blip".  So youre reading low DC volts, and probably  less than 250 AC volts and OHMs for open or close on continuity.  They are good for that unless the readings are truly critical for electronics repair or trouble shooting. If youre looking for it as a tool investment, go FLUKE.

On that SEARS, did you check the batteries, and the contacts? Even check the stabs for continuity. Ive had the 28 gage wires break inside the insulation giving you squat. JMHO.  You can also run the selector switch through several cycles to swipe the contacts clean, just like an old TV set channel and volume switches.  If you pop the back, you may also find a small 5A fuse. Use dads old meter to check this stuff out. Forget about repairs if its an internal failure!  Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:02:23 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who have to make their own electrical repairs,

Yesterday, I needed to check the current draw on my sister's 2009 Chevy Cobalt.  When I pulled out my Sears multimeter, it reported absolutely zero current.  Here is a picture of the "patient."

As you can see it is one of those "made in China" items.

Edouard;

I'm assuming you are talking about the .000 showing in your top set of pictures for the current reading.  If so, did you notice your dial was set to Bat 1.5V?  It should be set to one of the ranges in the A DC group.

Did you also notice your red probe was connected to the wrong port on the multi-meter for a current reading? It should have been plugged into the 10A port.  The black probe is correctly plugged in.

Although on these multi-meters, they have often been subjected to current over 10A, meaning the fuse (or fuses) protecting the multi-meter are often blown. If you try again and get zero's, pop the rear cover and check the fuses for continuity. If it has infinite resistance, it is blown on the current measurement circuit, so it would need to be replaced.

So please give our Chinese brethren a chance on this one.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:04:39 PM by 65GSConv »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Think it is a fluke - huh? . . . . (Re: Quality electric multimeter?)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 05:01:45 PM »
Dear Jerry, Bill, 65GSConv, and mid-60s Buick owners who meddle in wiring,

I hafta agree that a FLUKE is the top of the high end meters, but honestly?

True, but I have a ton of dough coming thanks to Uncle Sam, perhaps I'll spurge on this one! . . .  :laughing7:

On that SEARS, did you check the batteries, and the contacts? Even check the stabs for continuity.
. . . .

Yes I did.  The voltage readings works but nothing else.  After all those trials at least I retrieved the brand new battery!

I'm assuming you are talking about the .000 showing in your top set of pictures for the current reading.  If so, did you notice your dial was set to Bat 1.5V?  It should be set to one of the ranges in the A DC group.

Actually, that was the last test I did.  If I couldn't measure an amperage, I thought it was a prudent double-check to measure the status of a fresh 1.5 volt battery.  That failed as well.  To be perfectly honest, I just turned on the meter before taking the photo on so that you could see what the digital display looked like.

I'll have to put off researching this project for a bit.  We are suffering from picked-over grocery stores once more and so I'll have to focus on more essential matter for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions though!  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:09:45 PM by elagache »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Bought a Fluke 117. (Re: Guality electric multimeter?)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who moonlight as electricians,

After spending some time researching my options, I ended up purchasing a Fluke 117 multimeter.  I bought it from TEquipment:

https://www.tequipment.net/

They had Amazon beat by a few bucks and threw in a free soft-side carrying case.  Here is a photo of the 117 and the case in their original packaging:

At first I was a bit intimidated by the manual:

However it includes instructions in 9 languages!

I gave it a first test by measuring the voltage of Biquette's battery with the trickle charger connected:

The "hold reading" feature was very handy for this.  There was no way I could hold the test leads on the battery and still take the picture!

Here is one last picture of the multimeter in this case:

It isn't the best fit, but you can't quibble with the price!  For my needs that will be just fine.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 05:58:43 PM »
Congratulations! I'm glad you went with the Fluke.
 I've had my 177 for 12 years now. Use it all the time.
That 117 will be a hand me down!
Jim
Chicago

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
The Fluke is a good unit.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto