Author Topic: Been lurking for a while, time to introduce myself!  (Read 1306 times)

Offline JS65GS

• Buick Fan
Been lurking for a while, time to introduce myself!
« on: March 31, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
Hey all, been on the site quite a while, bought a few things here and there.. with some Covid-19 down time I thought I'd introduce myself and my project.  I'm sure there's loads of expertise and information here that I could use.

When I was 18 (in 2001) I bought a '65 GS that was down the street from my house, my dad always told stories about the '67 GS400 he had back in '67, so naturally I gravitated towards the car.  Once I got behind the wheel I then became a Buick/Nailhead nut, no turnin back.  The car also came with a complete 425 (Qjet setup), a TH400, an extra 2 speed, a 401 block, a couple sets of exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds, a couple carbs, and some various other parts.. I didn't even know i was buying when I purchased the car (for around $3k).

Car had a '66 401 in it, '70 Chevelle front disc brakes & a '70 442 rear end w/ the original 2 speed and some olds mags on it as well.  I drove it as much as I could, was my daily driver for a short while, it started having some engine problems and it sat for a while.  The pic attached is right when I started to get act together after it had sat.  Previous owner had done some tinkering.

Fast forward to the somewhat present and I was finally in the financial state to do some justice to the car.  I'll start a resto thread on this (with more pics).. but currently the body is off the frame at a body shop, repairing rust and prepping for paint.  Had the frame and rear end sand blasted and powder coated.  Had to take the ol 401 out, rebuilt the 425, putting that in.  It's getting a suspension overhaul (on its way now), 4 wheel disc conversion.. Ideally I'd like to convert the car over to a manual.. but don't really know what kind of can of worms I'd be opening (would love some feedback on that)..

I also not too long ago bought a '65 Riviera GS as an investment to flip and put $ into the Skylark, but who am I kidding.. I need em both!!

-Jerome
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:08:17 PM by JS65GS »
Jerome Sauer

65 Skylark GS hardtop 425/4speed
65 Riviera 425 2x4

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Been lurking for a while, time to introduce myself!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 05:47:02 PM »
Jerome, welcome to the forum.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »
Welcome Jerome!  Hope you're enjoying the air cleaner and the Riv is running well!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline JS65GS

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 06:19:47 PM »
It's running great, lookin great, thank you Chuck!!

Currently getting some new steering components.  Hoping to have back on the road here shortly.
Jerome Sauer

65 Riviera 425 2x4

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »
Those Olds wheels do it justice! If your serious about a manual conversion, its Muchhh easier on one of these cars than a late 60's-70's with all the linkages and other stuff thats in the way. Its pretty much simple nuts and bolts and of course $$$. I have a perfect BUICK bellhousing but its a BOP pattern and wont fit the nailhead. Thats going to be your major stumbling block. Welcome! ...And participate! 

The BADLAD and his older sister the BADLASS!  Bill

Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 07:01:50 PM »
Welcome to our support group Jerome. Great story, always interesting to learn the history behind someone's project. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »
Welcome Jerome! Looking forward to following along!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »
Hello Jerome.

I have done 2 manual conversions. One in a '64 Special, and one in a '64 Skylark.

The first was all OEM parts from a 1966 f-85, entire driveline from the radiator to rear end. I did it back in 1978.

Everything lined up and bolted up, and was the easiest thing I ever did. So, the parts of most GM A-bodies from 64-66 should fit.

The second was a nailhead install (complete suspension, brakes, manual transmission, rear end, fuel and brake lines, and all wiring) that I did a few years ago.

I went with a hydraulic release bearing as locating the clutch linkage parts was a pretty difficult task with a complete almost fram off and all the other work I was doing, and I wanted to get the car done and on the road.

The hydraulic clutch works great and I like it just fine. Having driven manual vehicles for nearly 50 years, I still "feel" the clutch just fine. (some folks say they cannot "sense" the hydraulic the same as a manual, and that is not the case with mine, the "feedback" is perfect). I did have the GS bell housing, but the fact that it is fully enclosed made release bearing work a pain, so I put a Bendtsen bell housing and found it suited me well. (the runout and alignment was near dead-on "out of the box")

My nailhead did kill my BW T10, so I have put a Tremec TKO 500 in this (better gear spread fro the nailhead) and with a 3.54 it runs about 2800 RPM at 85 on the highway and gets terrific gas mileage (about 20 MPG) with 2x4 FiTech.

Happy to answer any questions, and provide pics, and sources of parts I used. :)

Michael
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:57:45 AM by TrunkMonkey »
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Welcome! (Re: Been lurking for a while, time to introduce myself!)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 01:42:28 PM »
By all means!  Welcome Jerome to 65GS.com!! . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 06:06:53 AM »
 Jerome, is that a shell beige car? I am finishing up a 65 Skylark for the wife and she picked that color.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:15:40 AM by EZ Cool »

Offline 66nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 08:05:15 AM »
Hey what’s up. Welcome to the site. Good to here you still have that 65gs. I still remember when jr mkeithen owned that car in the 80’s.
Dan Harper

66 buick gs hardtop.  401/st400
66 buick gs convertible. 401/st300. Original Verde green with 70,000 miles
66 buick special 2dr post. 340/st400.
66 buick special wagon

Offline JS65GS

• Buick Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
Jerome, is that a shell beige car? I am finishing up a 65 Skylark for the wife and she picked that color.

I believe so!
Jerome Sauer

65 Riviera 425 2x4

Offline JS65GS

• Buick Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 05:09:32 PM »
Hey what’s up. Welcome to the site. Good to here you still have that 65gs. I still remember when jr mkeithen owned that car in the 80’s.

Dan!!  Yep, bought it from JR back in '01!  Car will look a little different when done.  JR did a lot of cool things to that car, aside from the slightly bent frame..
Jerome Sauer

65 Riviera 425 2x4

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »

I believe so!

Here’s a pic of the shell beige car I’ve been building for the wife

Offline invicta65

• Buick Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 10:02:03 PM »
Curious were the frame was bent on the car.
1965 gran sport ht 3 speed
1968 skylark