Author Topic: Wheel Vintiques ?  (Read 889 times)

Online option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Wheel Vintiques ?
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:03:10 PM »
   Hi Everyone, :hello: My 65 GS convertible is due for a new set of tires, I'm going to get 5 BF Goodrich TAs . I would like to get a full set of new rallye rims too. I was looking around and found Wheel Vintiques 57 Series Buick Style 14X6 rims with 3-1/2 back spacing on the Jegs website at $299.00 ea. that comes to $1,150.00 for the set of 5. Plus they are made in the USA and free shipping.  I checked Coker and they have the same style wheel $233.00 ea. plus shipping, and does not say made in the USA..
  My question is has anyone purchased the Wheel Vintiques Wheels ? If so were there any problems ?
  I'm running stock brakes so backspacing is not an issue and my tire size is 215/70s all around. The rallye rims that are on the GS now are not the original 65 GS rims. The original's were so rusty and deteriorated that they were unsafe to use, so they were scrapped. My Father gave me a newer set of Buick rallye rims that were factory AFA's from the Buick dealership that he worked for. But that was 30+years ago and they are showing there age, so I don't have a problem donating them to the scrap pile.
                                            Thanks. :thumbsup:
                                              Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Biquette has used both the 14" and 15" (Re: Wheel Vintiques ?)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »
Dear Tony and mid-60s Buick owners who like wheels that are Buick and shiny!  :sunny:

Hi Everyone, :hello: My 65 GS convertible is due for a new set of tires, I'm going to get 5 BF Goodrich TAs . I would like to get a full set of new rallye rims too. I was looking around and found Wheel Vintiques 57 Series Buick Style 14X6 rims with 3-1/2 back spacing on the Jegs website at $299.00 ea. that comes to $1,150.00 for the set of 5. Plus they are made in the USA and free shipping.  I checked Coker and they have the same style wheel $233.00 ea. plus shipping, and does not say made in the USA..
  My question is has anyone purchased the Wheel Vintiques Wheels ? If so were there any problems ?

Biquette was using the 14"x6" Wheel Vintiques Buick rally wheels from 2010 to 2018.  About the only thing I noticed was some chipping of the black paint, but I don't what the cause was.  Definitely no problems with clearance or maintenance.  Biquette now has beefier tires on the 15"x7" Vintques  wheels and so far everything has worked out fine.  I'm sure there are issues for the purists, but if you simply want to Buick to look nice, these wheels will definitely do that for you!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. If you would like to save yourself some wheel cleaning misery, you might consider having the wheels coated with one of these silicon-dioxide products like Opticoat.  It is expensive, but basically it is a process that applies a layer of glass a few molecules thick.  That makes brake dust and other nasty road debris come off with very little effort.  Keeping Biquette's wheels clean is much easier than any other car.  I sure wish I could have the same product applied to the aluminum wheels of our 2000 Buick Century!

Online option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Wheel Vintiques ?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 06:03:14 PM »
Thanks Edouard.    Your feedback is great, and i'm not going to worry about the black paint because it's going to be re-painted that platinum grey anyway. If they look as nice as the rims on your wagon I will be very happy. :icon_thumright:

Tony  :wave:
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:34:13 AM »
Tony,
   I have a really nice set of the Buick Chrome rally 14 x 6 wheels sitting in the loft of the shed that need a home.  Will make you a deal on them if we can figure out how to get them to NY.  They are from an 80's regal, so they give the car a 1" wider stance between the wheels compared to the 65 wheels.   I can dig them out this week and get pics if you want.   
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 09:34:41 AM »
I do not have them myself but have heard only good things about Wheel Vintiques.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Online option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 08:37:34 PM »
 Thanks for the positive feedback Jim, OK Brian, Knowing the quality of your work Im sure those rims are in great condition. If you want to dig them out that would be great. The best way to pack them would be in wheel boxes, I have 4 boxes here that have the American Racing Torque Thrust wheels in them (for my GS restoration project) I can send you the empty boxes? or if there is a speed shop near you that you can get boxes. To ship them you can try Greayhound if there is a depot near you. They ship large items in the cargo area at a reasonable rate. But before you do anything let me check with Greyhound and see if anything is moving into the NYC area. Since this morning NY State is basically shut down due to the Virus :sad1:

Thanks.
                                             Tony :hello:

Online option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 08:26:41 AM »
Hi Brian, Due to the Virus almost everything is shut down here. So I will have to re-visit the new rim & tire plan after this national emergency is over. :sad1:

Thanks.
                                                                  Tony :thumbsup:

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 09:44:08 AM »
I agree Tony!  The wheels are not going anywhere--they are tucked away in loft of the workshed.  We plan to travel to Hershey the 1st week in October for mega swapmeet, so we can bring them with us and meet up with you there possibly.  Will also be in Allentown, PA for the AACA grand national meet last weekend in July providing everything recovers by then.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)