Author Topic: Work progressing on my buddies trunk floor  (Read 440 times)

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Work progressing on my buddies trunk floor
« on: February 29, 2020, 01:15:00 AM »
My buddy is putting in the seven piece trunk floor! All fitted and butt welded! Lots of work but will be super nice when finished!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Work progressing on my buddies trunk floor
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:41:48 AM »
Great Job!! That brings back some memories of a few months ago for me for sure! How have the braces fit up so far? After getting the floor out of mine I found the braces to be 100% still so I have them available if anyone needs them to go with just the floor pcs. to save a few bucks. Very Negotiable!

Stay with it and dont forget to paint all the stuff underneath that you can never get to again either. How bad are the leaks around the rear window corners?  Bill

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:44:23 AM by yachtsmanbill »
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:09:33 AM »
The panel and brace fit are good! Not much of a leaking rear window ,rust from the original trunk mat! Just a big sponge! Rusted and perforated mostly in the center! For the most part this is a super clean car! From California originally! The frame , braces, and metal are getting por 15 then chassis black plus a little under coating factory style! Once the metal repairs are done it is off to the body shop for a fresh coat of sapphire blue! We removed the windshield trim stainless,emblems, halo trim and tracks, and a pillar trim yesterday!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 05:11:11 AM »
Thats where Im headed this morning! Yeah... my '64 did have some window corner issues that caused a wet floor mat to stay wet; for 56 years, and I think the moisture coming off the matt just helped feed the corner problem. Theres a case of poor drainage there.

I asked Pat to send a prayer to the BIG GUY at church this morning for guidance. I shocked her last night when I asked her if it was a sin to pray for worldly goods. Hmm, "I suppose" was her reply, and with my wit, I asked about "guidance" instead.  :read2: Thats OK.  :angel4:   Its 0500 and the atom smasher is coming on line in an hour or so.
I'll be sooooo glad when this aspect is finished !!!!  :hello2:

As soon as the CC flashes off (its around 75F in the shop) I hafta pull all that masking stuff off. Theres a short window between pulling the tape and and having the paint (CC) coming off at the same time, or letting the paint harden and TEARING the tape edge to smithereens. Its all tucked in under the fuzzy trims etc. GADS!!

Bill

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 04:06:08 AM »
More work this past weekend ! Trunk floor all fitted and ready to weld in!Prepped the back window area for repairs and he is going to delete the halo trim! I took out the back window, hood letters,ornament,and fender birds! Readying it for the new coat of paint it will soon be getting!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 04:13:55 AM by gssizzler »

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 06:41:56 AM »
Thats looking all too familiar! Are you going to pull the package tray for an inspection?   Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for the update! (Re: Work progressing on my buddies trunk floor)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »
Thanks for the update Jon!

We all learn from one another and I'm sure Bill doesn't mind having someone else posting some restoration progress!  :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 02:39:46 PM »
Yessah ! Its great to share progress, especially some one that takes pictures. Keep up the good work. Our cars will almost be twins when we are done!
 Bill in Two Rivers, Wi. .

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 03:33:37 PM »
Also has  repairs in the quarter lips and a small patch in the back corner of the right quarter! Lots of very nice repairs going on before the repaint!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Looking good! (Re: Work progressing on my buddies trunk floor)
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 03:13:46 PM »
Dear Jon and mid-60s Buick restorers,

Also has  repairs in the quarter lips and a small patch in the back corner of the right quarter! Lots of very nice repairs going on before the repaint!

Thanks for the update!  Glad to see things are progressing!  :hello2:

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 10:28:35 PM »
When my buddy needs a little break from all the welding and grinding on his car! This is what he has been rebuilding and restoring! Thought that some of you guys would like to see what a opened up, going back together dual quads look like! Well air cleaner is all redone it shines like a new penny! Beautiful! And it weighs about 3 pounds heavier!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 11:44:59 PM by gssizzler »

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 10:32:38 AM »
Very nice!  Looks familiar  :thumbsup:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 12:51:35 AM »
Well my buddy Randy got the time to get back on his post. The trunk floor is completed came out nice! , very hard to photograph as it is all black covered in por 15 ! The welding repairs and grinding on the outer body is completed so it was time to fill,sand smooth and prime! Randy's buddy Carl , a  former body man came over and went to town! He painted and did the body on the post 20 years ago! Getting things ready for that fresh coat of blue!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:57:24 AM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 12:53:08 AM »
More shots!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for the update! (Re: Work progressing on my buddies trunk floor)
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »
Thanks for the update Jon!   :hello2: