Author Topic: 65 GS vert. disc brake up grade  (Read 772 times)

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
65 GS vert. disc brake up grade
« on: February 04, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
Hello, my 65GS vert. has manual drum brakes x4 with single master cylinder.  I'm thinking it would be in my best interest to up grade the system.  I prefer to just do the front.  Any suggestion?
Thank you Dave
now wouldn't you rather have a Buick

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS vert. disc brake up grade
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
Do you currently have 14" wheels?  If so, are you planning to keep them?  If yes, I believe Right Stuff is about the only supplier for front disc brake conversions that work with OEM 14" wheels - plus you get to keep your existing spindles with this set.

Here are a couple of those options:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
How did this upgrade turn out?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »
This may be too old but I did fronts from SSBC along with a power brakes dual res master . Safety trumped originality for me as there are lots of hills in my area. I found a set of 15" factory rallye wheels so I could fit the 11" rotor. It's not without expense to be sure, parts were around $700ish plus wheels at $250ish, but the increased stopping power is substantial and there is no fade even on long and winding downhill runs.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
SSBC might not fit factory wheels. (Re: 65 GS vert. disc brake up grade)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »
Dear Jim, Elvin, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

This may be too old but I did fronts from SSBC along with a power brakes dual res master .
. . . .

My trusty wagon also has front disc brakes from SSBC.   They were installed back in 2010 when Biquette had an overall mechanical and safety restoration.  Unfortunately the installation ran into an unexpected snag.  Back in 1986 when the car was stolen, we lost the factory spare tire.  When we got the car back we had a replacement steel wheel fitted with a new spare tire.  Over the years that wheel got rotated into the 4 wheels on the road.

As bad luck would have it, when it came time to test fit if the disc brakes where going to have any clearance problem, it was that replacement wheel that was used to check - it worked fine.  Alas, when it came time to put the other front wheel - it didn't fit!  It appears the original Buick wheels didn't work with that particular SSBC upgrade kit.  I don't know if there is any kit that will.  In Biquette's case, I instead opted for the reproduction Buick rally wheels from Wheel Vintques.  However, if you want to stick to stock wheels this could be an issue.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »
I will definitely be running aftermarket wheels and can order them to fit. Will get either 15 or 17 inch Cragars or other wheels.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Think issue is back-spacing. (Re: 65 GS vert. disc brake up grade)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 01:17:57 PM »
Dear Jim and mid-60s Buick caregivers who enjoy some modern upgrades.

I will definitely be running aftermarket wheels and can order them to fit. Will get either 15 or 17 inch Cragars or other wheels.

I believe the issue is having sufficient back-spacing.  Unfortunately, I cannot quickly look up what worked on Biquette.  However, there are much sharper fellows on this forum who can answer that question for you.  One thing that I didn't mention though is that it should be relatively easy to find factory style steel wheels that would still fit the SSBC disc brakes.  They would have to come from a later model car, but would still fit the Buick hubcaps and otherwise would look completely original.  This should be the sort of thing you can find in a junk yard.  However, they may be getting difficult to find since manufacturers are reproducing the "plain Jane" factory steel wheels.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 07:51:24 PM »
Eduardo is 100% correct on the SSBC not fitting the 14" originals. Those are now up on the shelf in the garage. I'm not sure of the year, others may know, but at some point the rally wheel style was moved to a 15" size. I think the backspacing might be slightly less if different at all, but at stock ride height there are no issues. You get to keep the original look but you do need to repaint the centers with the GS grey as they're all black. Not super easy to find, I'll admit. I got them from AKH wheel in WA state. Many have had good luck with Vintiques as well, though when I was looking I had read that there are occasional QC issues with their weld bead causing the hoop to have a wobble. Otherwise, I know there is a version that fits the 14" wheel, recommended in previous threads.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline Buicknut65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 09:30:52 PM »
I have disc brakes and 15 rallies on mine works nice no rubbing etc . BFG 215/65/15 front and 255/60/15 rear .