Author Topic: 65 GS - Sturgeon Bay, WI  (Read 955 times)

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
65 GS - Sturgeon Bay, WI
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:48:58 PM »
https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1967-buick-skylark

Yes, the link says it is a 1967, but it really is a 1965 GS. Likely has a very high reserve.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for the pointer. (Re: 65 GS - Sturgeon Bay, WI)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 04:56:50 PM »
Dear 65GSConv and appraisers of 1965 Buick A-body "flesh,"

Yes, the link says it is a 1967, but it really is a 1965 GS. Likely has a very high reserve.

Thanks for the pointer.  Since auctions are new to Hemmings, it might be interesting to follow just to see how smoothly the process unfolds.  I'll be interested to see if the car sells and at what price.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS - Sturgeon Bay, WI
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:24:16 AM »
It was up for auction last week, apparently it did not sell. Now it's a classified for $44,200/obo.
There's a comment it sold at the 2018 Chicago Mecum for $58,300.
Great looking car but there's a bunch of incorrect items. I would expect near perfection at that price!
The engine has a '66 water crossover on it. It could be a replacement part, or a replacement engine. Has '66 valve covers.
The vin tag does not have original rivets- something else which needs additional investigation before handing over that much $$
I hate to nit pic other peoples cars, but take this as a warning to inspect this car more closely.

On a side note, the 'Related Articles' sidebar has a link to Brian's 65 GS resto feature. Check it out!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 11:56:40 AM »
Believe this used to belong to one of our forum members. The story was that two bidders really wanted the car. Alcohol might have been involved. LOL.

The asking price is significantly high. Of course that’s just my opinion.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 12:04:43 PM »
From what I can tell, the first bid in the current auction was submitted on Jan 6. The current bid, submitted on Jan 16, is $20k, but reserve hasn't been met yet. Alcohol may explain why someone would pay $53,800 in Oct 2018 and now will take $44,200, LOL. Wonder when the bidding period ends on this one - I can't see that in my view. If a fair price on this one is north of $20k, and the reserve it's set at or close to the buy-it-now price, may be a good deal for someone on this forum.

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 04:57:38 PM »
Look at the gear selector on the instrument panel. It looks like it was covered with a piece of electrical tape?
Judging by the first video, I would say alcohol was involved.( I was getting dizzy watching it )
Jim
Chicago

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:33 PM »
A,B, or C.  No vents either; just speakers. Hot ride in Florida LOL...Not being absolutely sure about the 65's, I can only show what was OEM for 1964 with a 3 on the tree.  The console looks a little funky too for the $$$ shot!  Bill

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:37:00 AM by yachtsmanbill »
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:55:13 AM »
The steering wheel isn't 65GS OEM either.

What would you say is the fair market value these days for this particular example?

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »
The firewall tag reads TT for Champaign mist! Not midnight blue! The date code is 8 A August first week! I would think if it is a August of 65 car wouldn't the vin be higher!!!!!???? A August of 64 on the other hand would be a low vin and GS production for public sale didn't start till January of 65! Again documentation is key and adds value in my opinion!!! As Walt had mentioned the firewall tag rivets don't look right and vin tag has non rosette rivets! Many early cars and early GS's had non rosette rivets! I have owned several non rosette 65's that where correct non altered vin tags
As far as value condition plays a big part I would look at the cost of having a car professionally restored meaning a done car! Verses a not done car! Keep in mind most general shop time is close to $100 or more dollars per hour!!!! So if you buy a done car for  say $27,000 as a not done for say $23,000 but put the time and another $12,000 in it!!! You might be underwater! Sometimes there is greater value in a done car!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:27:56 PM by gssizzler »

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 01:32:22 PM »
You got that RIGHT
You could spend 25K quick on a rusty piecified clone. If that car is as clean as it looks... I would be willing to overlook the small details in the 25-8 range.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »
There are a lot of little things wrong with the car. Many, such as the reproduction hood ornament, only 65 GS nuts like us could pick out. For the every day owner this would be a great car for close to $30k.

Strange that the backspacing is different on the front and rear wheels.

Not far from Sturgeon Bay if someone wants me to look at the car.

Dan

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 06:23:04 PM »
Those rear wheels are cool....I don?t know how you noticed that one,but they must be aftermarket repops. The car definitely has its individual preferences as far as the details but it looks like a nice job for the most part. I like the color even if it?s not a factory blue car....nobody actually cared back in the day if they used the factory code. We tend to look at it a bit too hard just for the typical driver to cruise in and I agree that it is definitely worth a look if someone is considering it.

Offline Buicknut65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 07:37:02 PM »
Was mine really nice car but man the lies , lies , and more lies since I sold . Anyone interested can contact me for info I sold for 31 k

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »
Those rear wheels are cool....I don?t know how you noticed that one,but they must be aftermarket repops. The car definitely has its individual preferences as far as the details but it looks like a nice job for the most part. I like the color even if it?s not a factory blue car....nobody actually cared back in the day if they used the factory code. We tend to look at it a bit too hard just for the typical driver to cruise in and I agree that it is definitely worth a look if someone is considering it.

The front wheels look to be originals based on the center finish. Then looked at the rears and wow that backspacing is really different.

Agree its worth a look but based on the Mecum ‘plates’ doubt the current owner has even driven it. We tend to be too hard might be an understatement. LOL

Dan

Offline Buicknut65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 08:51:56 PM »
Was a buddies car which I sold to him out of south SF was going to build a driver rat rod way before it was cool about 15 years ago . He came by house and had to have it . Uncle owned a body shop took apart only rust was in middle of roof ( vinyl top car ) was cut out . His uncle took along time but did a great job . He didn't like vinyl top or color so changed to correct blue for 65 . Was about 85 percent done when his uncle passed and left him a 40 Ford convertible and only more for one in garage so i bought and finished it . I loved car but I hated colors to dark outside for dusty country roads and white interior is only okay in convertibles to me . I'd have never sold it if colors was reversed . Has a lot s of cool stuff but he wasn't a Buick guy and I put lots of stuff I had in storage when I got it . Rear end was open 66 Skylark tall 2.78 gears but great freeway cruiser and I think guy that built motor put back as stock Rivy 401 needed more cam . Ran great and good on fuel . It's a strong car and super clean but not near a 40 k car I'd say high 20's low 30's . I sold when market was hot at 31 k .