Author Topic: Frame Manufacture ?  (Read 94 times)

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Frame Manufacture ?
« on: January 19, 2020, 02:36:20 PM »
Hi all,

I have a 65 Cutlass as well as my 64/65 Buicks, and Oldsmobile is big on frames on if it's a true 442/manual transmission car.

They list  company A.O.Smith and Pontiac as frame makers and wonder who did Buicks frames and were their several suppliers as well.

Curious if anyone can add anything to this

Regards,
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline McNew

• Buick Fan
  • Ron
Re: Frame Manufacture ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 04:54:52 PM »
Hello Jim,  I'm not sure where the frames were done but the most likely place would have been the Metal Fabricating Plant on Bristol Road in Flint.  In the 60's it was called the frame and stamping plant.  I know they made the A body frames there in the late sixties.  I work at that plant in 1968 a few weeks before returning to college on the end of the Camaro and full size Chevy hood line putting the hoods in the racks for shipping.  The bodies for he Buicks were assembled at the Fishers body plant on Saginaw Street in Flint then loaded into very special inclosed trailers and hauled by truck to the Buick plant where they were put on the line to be dropped onto the frames.  The front clip was then added to the car and it was common for the paint color to be just a bit different between the body and the hood and fenders because they weren't painted in the same place at the same time. 
1965 Skylark Gran Sport Post Car
BCA 49676