Author Topic: Wanting input on buying new gas tank  (Read 561 times)

Offline grants6

• Buick Nut
Wanting input on buying new gas tank
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:10:41 PM »
I am looking at purchasing a new gas tank for my 65 , has anyone purchased any of the ones on eBay? If so I would appreciate any info?

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Wanting input on buying new gas tank
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 10:30:08 PM »
I bought one from Tamraz once and it was fine but I think you can get the same tank through O?Reillys or Advance for the same price. Made by Spectra.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »
I got a great deal on a new tank for 75.00 with free shipping, but the fill pipe was broken at the solder joint. A letter to the seller got me a total refund. I had to try and solder the neck back on; the position was good, but a poor solder job. I finished it off with a good seal of JB weld. It was pressure tested at 100% with about 15 psi of air for MY satisfaction.  Just sayin...

I have the OEM neck (and or tank) if anyone is interested for shipping $$$$. The china tank was coated in YAK fat with made a poor (dirty) solder joint. The tank was shipped in a cardboard box but the neck was totally exposed hence the broken joint. If anyone is interested Ill look up the seller. Tank fit perfect. I also put a new 3/8" sender in from a '65. The '64 runs at 30 ohms and the the 65 was changed to 90 ohms. The gage works but bounces around freely on corners etc. Its a "buffer" deal.

Only suggestion is to use 1" longer carriage bolts for ease of engaging strap hardware.

Feel free to ask about details! Bill in TR...
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:07:29 AM »
I think the Spectra Premium tanks are made in Canada so better quality. Lots of times you can find a coupon for Advance Auto Parts.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »
I bought my Spectra tank and sending unit from Advance using an online coupon with free shipping.  All arrived well and fit well and I saved quite a bit of money in the deal.  Spectra tank number is GM37J. 

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 08:24:38 AM »
Correction... the price was 72.00 delivered. Youll hafta run the links below... they came off a C&P from the other place where I'm not allowed to play anymore; boo-hoo.

I think Loren sent me the original link (!).

http://rpui.com/?page_id=65

http://rpui.com/?page_id=15

http://rpui.com/?page_id=51

https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/parts/1964-Buick-Special/fuel-tanks/

DBA:
https://www.trimparts.com/

If ya need some entertainment start at page 1. It'll take ya some time to get through it and ya may need a chinaman translator as well LOL...   Bill

http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/off-on-a-lark.341069/page-21
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:04:21 AM by yachtsmanbill »

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 10:13:28 AM »
I also bought a Spectra tank from Advance; I used the pump in tank version for my LS engine install. It fit well and had all the correct line out, return line, vent ports and the filler neck was spot on.     
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline grants6

• Buick Nut
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 10:16:59 AM »
Thanks for replies! Looks like spectra is the way to go, at least they are built in Canada and not one from China!

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
Another vote for the Spectra tank which I bought from Tamraz through eBay.
Looks and fit like the original. I bought a tank pad from Patton Glade (V8Buick.com)
With the pad, it will take a little muscle to get the nuts started on the tank strap bolts.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
Go an inch longer. You wont be sorry!   Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Another satisfied Spectra customer. (Re: Wanting input on buying new gas tank)
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 03:59:18 PM »
Dear Brad, Jim, Bill, Kevin, Mark, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I am looking at purchasing a new gas tank for my 65 , has anyone purchased any of the ones on eBay? If so I would appreciate any info?

Like Kevin, I have the Spectra Premium tank with the built-in EFI fuel pump.  I also got a tank pad from Patton Glade on V-8 Buick.  My only issue with the tank is definitely an oddball one.  My trusty wagon's engine had to go back to TA-Performance for valve train work and while the engine was gone I siphoned out as much was I could manage.  When the engine came back, the fuel pump failed almost immediately and the sending unit has never worked properly either.  It does appear that these components should not be left dry for periods of time like a year.

Other than that, I'm definitely satisfied with the product and I can't really complain about the failures that occurred while the tank was empty.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 08:32:25 PM »
Hi gang, here's my 2 cents. Opted for new tank a few years ago. I believe it was the spectra or some version. It doesn't fit exactly the straps are junk. The oem straps have a ridge on them so they look nothing like the oem the ones. I'm ok with that but I don't have a date coded cigarette lighter either. My biggest complaint is the baffling is different or non existent. Rock the car side to side and you can hear the fuel sloshing in the tank. On a positive note, the 3/8" outlet from the sender is a big improvement over the 5/16" factory unit especially if you have a modified set up. That all said, I probably would have been happier with the new 3/8" sender in my old tank. 

Kerry
Jerry