Author Topic: How to post photos on 65GS.com from iOS and probably Android using Dropbox.  (Read 158 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear 65GS.com faithful,

A while back I worked out a way to post photos from iPhones or iPads using two third-party apps:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,4377.msg31972.html#msg31972

I'll be the first to admit that it was a clumsy and time consuming way to do it.  While uploading Jim's photos from PSMCDR I wondered if the file-sharing service Dropbox might provide an easier way to do this and the answer is an enthusiastic YES!  Instead of needing two clumsy apps you only need one from a company that has been around for many years and the process is much simpler.  In a nutshell:

• Email to yourself the photo you wan to post and allow the email software to reduce the size before mailing.
  • Save the photo from the email onto Dropbox
  • Finally retrieve the photo from Dropbox to post on the forum.

I can't provide screenshots for how this would work with an Android device, but Dropbox also supports Android so the same general technique should work.

It is true, you'll need to subscribe to the Dropbox service in order to make this work, but the service is free and doesn't have any annoying ads like other free apps.  You can join and find links to get the apps at the Dropbox website:

https://www.dropbox.com/

Unfortunately, I can't provide any screenshots of how to install the software since I joined Dropbox many years ago, but I hope it is reasonably obvious.

Here is how you post a photo from an iPhone.  First, take a photo then look at the photo by clicking on the preview in the lower left corner.  That will bring up this screen:

Click on the sharing photo icon.  This will first offer you a chance to select the photos you want to share.  Click on the photos you want you ultimately upload.  Even if you have a large batch, you might want to select no more than 5 photos at a time because you can only attach 5 photos to a single posting and you need to keep track of all the photos.  Here is what selecting one photo looks like:

Once you have selected the photos to send, click on next, and you will be brought to this dialog:

This will now allow you create an email.  Send it you an email address that is convenient for posting.  While all this can be done on your smart-phone, you could use either a tablet or computer to actually post on the forum and that is much easier on the eyes!  Once you have prepared your email you will get a dialog box asking if you want to send the image full-sized or scaled.  It will look something like this:

Normally you should have a "large" image option.  Those are also accepted by the 65GS.com forum.

At this point send your email and wait until it is received (typically a few seconds at the most.)  First, you'll need to select an image.  This works like it did earlier.  Now you need to store the resized image (or images) onto Dropbox.  You will need to scroll the list of possible ways to send an image  to the right before The Dropbox icon appears.  The icon will look like this:

At this point you will be asked to decide were in your Dropbox shared file-space to put the image file.  The simplest thing thing to do is store it in the top folder as shown below:

Once stored, you can scroll to find the image that you will be posting on 65GS.com  It will look like this:

Note the name of the file which will usually be something like IMG_0000.JPG.  Dropbox has done us a favor by changing the extension of the file from Apple's JPEG to the Windows standard JPG.  So you don't need to fuss with this to post on the forum.

Okay, one more sequence to complete - actually posting the photos onto the forum.  I'll provide an example on an iPhone since that is the most challenging.  This is easier to do on a tablet or computer.  First get onto the 65GS.com forum and either start a new post or reply.  At the bottom of the text window you'll see a button and the text Additional Options.  You need to click on this in order to be able to attach files.  This graphic shows multiple steps of the process all at once:

Barely visible behind the browse file dialog is a button that says Choose File.  This is how you choose a file to attach to the posting.  Clicking on that button on an iPhone brings up the dialog in the foreground.  As noted, you must then choose to browse your available files to reach Dropbox.  This will bring up the following dialog:

Obviously, you want to browse your Dropbox files.  That will bring up this display that will look very similar to the one that was used to save the image from your email.  The only difference is that now you want to click on the image you want to attach to your posting.  Finally, you should see the forum page looking something like this:

You can then repeat the procedure for any other images you want to attach to the posting.  Finally you can post your completed message and it should look something like this experiment that is used for this example:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,2610.msg33484.html#msg33484

Sorry if the description is long-winded, but I err on the side of providing more details than less.  Once you've done this procedure, it will become quick and second nature.  So if you have a smart-phone and have been wishing to post photos on the forum, give this procedure a try!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 04:29:13 PM by elagache »

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: How to post photos on 65GS.com from iOS and probably Android using Dropbox.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »
Gotta love being user friendly! Do you honestly go through that for each pic? WHEW!!!!   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 08:07:26 PM »
Edouard, I admire your efforts to help we computer challenged Buick guys post pictures.  As you mentioned the process is clumberson, timely and involves a third party.  I'd love to post pictures of my project however, I can block sand a quarter panel in less time than it takes to post a picture. With the current aging site architecture it's just to painful for Apples user.     
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 04:56:59 AM »
If anyone want a few (less than a dozen PUHLEEZ!!) pics posted, PM me with the pics (actually email makes it even easier!) and Ill be happy to post them. I only work off a desk top.  PM's with pics are even more complicated than posting them here. Email pics are a breeze!    Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Much faster and less painful than it appears, (Re: How to post photos Dropbox.)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »
Dear Bill, Kevin, and 65GS.com can't life with or without technology types,

Edouard, I admire your efforts to help we computer challenged Buick guys post pictures.  As you mentioned the process is clumberson, timely and involves a third party.

Actually, the process isn't all that different from what you need to do when posting a photo from a computer.  The problem is that iOS (and I assume Android) mask the file-system.  That's fine, unless you need to access a file like a photo to post on a forum.  Dropbox solves this problem by giving you a substitute file-system.  Otherwise the process is identical to what you would be doing anyway.

Yes Dropbox is a third-party service, but it is well-established being over 12 years old.  Here is the Wikipedia article about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropbox_(service)

I've used Dropbox for over 5 years.  It is a robust and trustworthy platform in so far as anything on the Internet can be trusted.

I'd love to post pictures of my project however, I can block sand a quarter panel in less time than it takes to post a picture. With the current aging site architecture it's just to painful for Apples user.     

Okay, I decided to take that up as a challenge and I went from photo to posted photo in less than 2 minutes.  The photo is attached to this reply.  I could probably do it a bit faster with still more practice.  Can you sand a quarter panel in 2 minutes?

Gotta love being user friendly! Do you honestly go through that for each pic? WHEW!!!!

You can email more than one photo.  I don't think you can save photos in a group, but that's a flaw of iOS.  You can't attach more than one photo at at time, that's a limitation of the forum software.  I don't think there is any other forum software that handles that process any better.  Using a computer is more convenient because you have a file-system, but you still need to attach the photos one at a time to the forum software. 

If you want better photo management, there are online tools available.  I pay for SmugMug:

https://www.smugmug.com/

It is really great for storing photos online which is easier for everyone to see and spares Loren the additional hosting costs of storing the photos on 65GS.com.  However, SmugMug is a paid service.  To me that's a feature because I take a lot of photos and want good service.  However, SmugMug recently acquired Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/

They still have a free service although SmugMug appears to be trying to nudge people to the paid upgrade (surprise, surprise.)  Still, in the past they had the same sort of features to make it very easy to post photos on forums.  One of these days when I have more free time, I'll look into this.  If it does work, once more I will make a basic "how-to" for those who might be interested.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:24:25 PM by elagache »

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »
My camera gives me a pic thats about 3-5 MgP's give or take. Those are WAY too big to post. On my September 2019 file I have all the OEN pics, and I resize the needed ones at the bottom of the file, and for convenient sometimers issues, I name z1, z2, z3 etc.  I can do 5 allowed pics here in a moment, and to resize a fresh one takes about 15 seconds with "paint" which is an MS desktop program. Paint 3D is pretty cool too, almost like adobe photoshop, but way more user friendly.

The only other issue is with the forum software only allowing 5 insertions. V-8 allowed 10 per post with no total on the MpG's, yet here the total for all 5 inserts cant exceed 20,000kb. Consider that to be like length times width times depth. Digital photography can become overwhelming, and parameters are different as night and dy between all the forums.

Dear Bill, Kevin, and 65GS.com can't life with or without technology types,

Auto spell check is another one; see above haha...   Bill

So the timer starts--- NOW...

Couldnt even get a smoke lit LOL...

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
So just for the sake of conversatin', I buzzed out to shop B and grabbed a few quickies... BTW, this is a '64 license plate light lense!   Bill

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
For giggles, I usually resize my pics at 30% and the seem to fit here. Side by side is another sized at 75%... let me see if it fits...   Bill

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 06:44:02 PM »
So the bigger pic fits. However, I can only post 2-3 of these against the total allowed. Look at the sizes just below each pic. Click on the bigger pic and get a "+" sign. Click again for a giant pic that youll need to scroll around on the scroll bars at the side and bottom.   Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Different strokes for different folks. (Re: How to post photos on 65GS.com)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 01:32:27 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick owners who can't life with or without Internet technology,

My camera gives me a pic thats about 3-5 MgP's give or take. Those are WAY too big to post.
. . . .

I'll be the first to agree that it is much more pleasant and comfortable to use a computer for these sorts of activities.  I have a one year old Mac Mini and a very high resolution LG monitor.  Simply having a lot of screen space makes any digital activity easier.  Being a Mac person, I have used iPhoto (now Photos) to manage all my pictures is basically this software came out.  There was a learning curve and organizing your photographs takes some time, but everything is in one place and is easy to search.

Unfortunately, computers have gotten very complex and troublesome.  Windows got a very bad reputation in the past, and while current versions of Windows are much improved, many people simply don't want the hassles.  Even the Mac platform isn't nearly as user-friendly or maintenance free as it once was.  So I understand people who would like to ditch desktop devices in favor of either smart-phones, tablets, or a combination of the two.

The only other issue is with the forum software only allowing 5 insertions. V-8 allowed 10 per post with no total on the MpG's, yet here the total for all 5 inserts cant exceed 20,000kb. Consider that to be like length times width times depth. Digital photography can become overwhelming, and parameters are different as night and dy between all the forums.

Those of us who take a lot of pictures should consider trying to store our photos on an online gallery service instead of attaching photos to postings.  Even a small forum like 65GS.com represents a lot of data and somebody (Loren) is paying the data usage fees.  One of these days I will try to explain how SmugMug works.  It is the Cadillac Buick of online photo services, but like a luxury car, there are real advantages to the extra features.  If you think posting is fast and easy right now, you haven't seen nothing compared to how quick and convenient it is to insert SmugMug photos into forum postings.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 05:09:35 PM »
To the MAC guys that have skin thats not so thick... please dont take offence to this; but I happen to have several personal issues with mac stuff, even with out the chili and cheese. Gads. The one button mouse is just the beginning, Ha! Special shutdowns and all the app stuff just seems left handed and unnatural to me. Remember now, Im still on a flip phone and and absolutely, without reservations, REFUSE to be pulled under the guise of "keeping up" and advancing to a more $$$ and complicated system than its already become. Kripes; I NEVER even had a pager, then the first crack phone with a pull up antenna was about 2005. I still have that number BTW.
  So a quick glance at mugshot showed me its way more complicated than I need to learn at this station in life, and the subscription fees are beyond what I can afford as well.

https://www.smugmug.com/plans

Just perusing my desktop files, I see I run between 3-4 Mb per month to as much as 2.5Gb's. I also keep everything on an external hard drive at 10 Tb's so I have plenty of storage/backup, and can put it in a T shirt pocket and go anywhere with it. It puts a zip drive to shame, and is as easy as a SIMs card install. Plug and play.  I felt like a moon landing when I got my first clicker style torque wrench. Too much work in a 1920's power plant I guess. Hard a hard time learning SCADA/ladder logic LOL...The hand is quicker than the RYE...   Bill

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:11:59 PM by yachtsmanbill »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Definitely not for everyone. (Re: How to post photos on 65GS.com)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
Dear Bill and owners of mid-60s photogenic Buicks,

To the MAC guys that have skin thats not so thick... please dont take offence to this; but I happen to have several personal issues with mac stuff, even with out the chili and cheese.
. . . . .

When it comes to computing about all we can hope for the lessor of evils.  Apple started out with a huge advantage that ultimately came from Xerox PARC.  There was a time when some serious thought and research went into user-interface design.  Apple basically stole the desktop user-interface from the Altair and then Microsoft stole it from Apple.  The importance of this is was intuitive enough that computer went mainstream.  Most people could get used to the desktop user-interface and so the majority of people in the Western world were able to operate a computer.

I'm upset with the entire device hardware and software industry and level my hardest criticism at none other than Apple.  Apple used to be very meticulous in their user-interface designs with an eye making them friendly to the masses.  That dedication all but vanished with the iPhone and iOS.  I eventually realized why and it makes me even more angry.  When Apple tried to sell the Mac, nobody felt a need to use a computer.  If it wasn't easy to use, people wouldn't buy it.  By the time the iPhone had come out, people understood the value of computers and mobile phones.   Even if the user-interface wasn't friendly, people would buy it and suffer the process of learning.  Having created effectively a captive audience, Apple started compromising on core-values to sell their product.

So these days I can be sympathetic to all sides.

So a quick glance at mugshot showed me its way more complicated than I need to learn at this station in life, and the subscription fees are beyond what I can afford as well.

https://www.smugmug.com/plans

. . . . . .

. . . . After all, what were you expecting?  Did you think the Cadillac Buick of online photo services would be cheap? . . . .

SmugMug definitely isn't for most people.  It main audience are professional photographers.  Serious amateurs are certainly welcome but you need to be generating a lot of photos for the service to really make sense.

When Flickr was owned by Yahoo it had most of the functionality that I like in SmugMug for posting on forums and was still free.  What I don't know is if it still has that functionality.  Hopefully, one of the these days I'll scrape up the time to find out!

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 12:26:58 AM »
 Thanks for posting this! I will try the app! I usually have to send photos to tablet and this does give me a chance to fix them! Not the best picture taker I guess!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Another option: postimage.org (Re: How to post photos on 65GS.com)
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 03:34:01 PM »
Dear 65GS.com faithful,

Having one of those awkward 5 minutes of time which is hard to use productively, I decided to see if I could find some reviews of online photo services that can post photos on a forum.  I came across this reivew:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329

In their 8th of 10 best, they mentioned a site I wasn't aware of: postimage.org

https://postimages.org/

It is another ad supported site that claims it will keep your photos forever and you don't even have to create an account to do this.  As noted in their about section:

https://postimages.org/about

The website has been around since 2004 - that's 15 years.  I even found a tutorial on how to use this site on another forum:

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=3825

As shown on the screenshots of that tutorial, postimage provides links with all the codes needed to include photos in your forum postings.  Just cut the text as indicated and paste it at the location in your forum posting where you want the photo to appear.  Postimage even can scale the images you upload, so that problem is solved.

A check of complaints against the site appear to be minor and there is a review that gives it a bill of good health in so far as such things can be established:

https://review.easycounter.com/postimage.org

I see two significant downsides.  It is a small website with presumably a tiny staff.  Even the economic uncertainties, it is unclear how robust their economic model is.  The other problem is that they don't have any mechanism to upload photos directly from a smart-phone or tablet.

Still for someone who brings their photos to a computer,  this could be an option.  Nonetheless, . . . . caveat emptor!!