Author Topic: Junkin' season  (Read 130 times)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Junkin' season
« on: September 21, 2019, 06:46:52 AM »
Getting close to that time of the year again. Always better once it cools off and the flora and fauna doesnt need to be macheted'  to gain access.  Theres a few local yards up here that have some stuff, but this one SW of Chicago holds promise. Anyone else like to go junkin'?  Bill

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/pts/d/parting-225-antique-cars/6965454455.html

Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Junkin' season
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
When scrap got up to $20/100lbs several years ago, most of the older stuff around here got crushed.  Still go sometimes, but get more exercise than parts.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:20:27 PM »
Same here; anything left behind the barns got scrapped, so all thats left is stuff thats hidden in the trees. Salts bad enough but leaves are just as acidic!  Bill

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 10:42:17 PM »
When scrap got up to $20/100lbs several years ago, most of the older stuff around here got crushed.  Still go sometimes, but get more exercise than parts.

Times sure have changed..... I took 500 lbs of scrap in today and got $10. That's 2 cents per pound. At least it's gone and out of my way!
My previous trip about 2 years ago netted me 9 cents/lb.

At today's price, maybe I should be buying scrap and hoard it till the price goes up!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 05:17:55 AM »
Earlier this spring, I took the '65s V6, 3 speed, a turbo 400 and a truck load of iron manifolds etc to the scrap yard and got 19.00. The owner ragged about a quart of oil left in the oil pan. With scrap, it's hard to speculate on "futures".  The chinaman has that niche of the market pretty well sewn up!    Bill

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
Ive seen the nose of this guy peeking out from behind a garage in town for about 6-7 years now. About 4-5 years ago I left my number on the front door, the owner called me back and said like $5K... That seemed pretty rich sight unseen. Stopped by again yesterday and took some pics. Pretty solid considering... I dont know if it would fit in my 22 foot shop. Im considering a punch below the belt at 500.00. Thoughts? Ideas??   Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Beware of what you wish for! . . . (Re: Junkin' season)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
Dear Bill and 65GS.com members who have problems with Buicks following them home . . . . .  :laughing7:

Ive seen the nose of this guy peeking out from behind a garage in town for about 6-7 years now. About 4-5 years ago I left my number on the front door, the owner called me back and said like $5K... That seemed pretty rich sight unseen. Stopped by again yesterday and took some pics. Pretty solid considering... I dont know if it would fit in my 22 foot shop. Im considering a punch below the belt at 500.00. Thoughts? Ideas??   Bill

I agree that $5k is way overboard, but I suspect that only way you are going to pick it up for $500 is if you happened to catch the guy at a moment he simply wanted to get rid of it.  On the other hand, suppose you do offer him $500 and he takes it!  Beware of what you wish for, where are you going to store it?!??  :laughing7:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 04:46:33 PM »
Blue tarps ae on sale at Harbor FRIGHT (!) right now... heck, its been in the weather since 1969...   Just step "Behind the Green Door"  LOL...   Bill