Author Topic: Mobbed at the 2019 Orinda Classic Car show.  (Read 273 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Mobbed at the 2019 Orinda Classic Car show.
« on: September 11, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »
Dear 65GS.com faithful,

Last Saturday was the 15th Orinda Classic Car show.  This year there was a special exhibit of station wagons, which would have a greater effect on my participation than I imagined.  They did have a decent number of station wagon, but most of the other owners had brought more than one car and didn't make much of an effort to describe the history of their cars.  As a result, when people arrived at the station wagon exhibit, they invariably were drawn to Biquette and me!  I've never been so busy at a car show before!

As a result, I hardly had any time to take pictures of the other cars.  What pictures I did take can be found on this online gallery:

https://canebas.smugmug.com/ClassicandCustomAutomobiles/Car-Shows/2019-Orinda-Classic-Car-Show

SmugMug has a built-in slide show feature, so if you prefer to see the photos that way here's the link:

https://canebas.smugmug.com/frame/slideshow?key=6jrXgR&autoStart=1&captions=0&navigation=0&playButton=0&randomize=0&speed=3&transition=fade&transitionSpeed=2&clickable=1

It didn't help that the service bay were the wagons were displayed was relatively dark and we had a very unusually cool and cloudy day.  The only wagon that was showing up in the gloom was the one with an LED work light illuminating the engine bay:

Now do you see why I was so mobbed?  :laughing7:

Here are a few highlights.  The only other Buick was this regular participant - a 1970 Buick GS:

All the other Buick regulars have disappeared including sadly the 1965 Rivera.   They did have this nice pairing of 3 different Chevy A-body styles:

Here is a 1966 GTO for you GM muscle car fans:

There was one other wagon that was really historic, a 1938 International Station Wagon Moller.

Here is the description of the car:

One of seven.  Three door body by Moller of Hagerstown, Maryland.  Built for the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite to deliver guests to and from the railroad station.  Pebble Beach Winner.

That's all I've got.  Enjoy!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Mobbed at the 2019 Orinda Classic Car show.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »
Nice job Ed!! Tell that guy with the Cornbinder to keep an eye on those headlights! I have a pal that needs a pair for his IHC resto-farm truck! Then there's that dang 72 white station wagon!   Arrrr!!!    Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 06:37:56 PM »
Some nice cars, thanks for sharing.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »
Very nice cars indeed. Always nice to get that positive feedback after all your labor and efforts. One Chevelle and two El Caminos, sweet.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks guys! (Re: Mobbed at the 2019 Orinda Classic Car show.)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 03:10:01 PM »
Dear Bill, Jim, Kevin, and owners of appealing mid-60s Buicks,

Very nice cars indeed. Always nice to get that positive feedback after all your labor and efforts.

Thanks!   I think people weren't exactly expecting to find a wagon that actually had been in one family most of her life, but they could appreciate all the struggles involved.

Nice job Ed!!
. . . .
Then there's that dang 72 white station wagon!   Arrrr!!!    Bill

One Chevelle and two El Caminos, sweet.

Actually, the white Orinda Motors wagon was in the station wagon exhibit when I left Biquette Friday evening and was still there as I arrived Saturday morning.  However, at the last minute they changed their mind and instead parked it next to the 1971 Chevelle Malibu and El Camino.  The triplet was a neat scene so I suppose they did the right thing after all.  On the other hand, the youngest wagons from Detroit in the exhibit were from 1965!  The only newer station wagons were Mercedes! 

Thanks again!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Buicknut65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
Awesome and that wagon is so sweeeettttttt .....