Author Topic: Help needed,Electric choke on my Carter 3921S  (Read 358 times)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Help needed,Electric choke on my Carter 3921S
« on: August 30, 2019, 08:56:15 PM »
     On Tuesday morning I called the Summit Racing Tech line asking for the correct Electric Choke Kit to convert my hot air choke to an electric choke. The tech said the Edelbrock #1478 is the kit, It came in yesterday afternoon. At 12 this afternoon my friend Lou & I started installing the kit, at 4 this afternoon we were fed up!! no matter what we did it would not work. I tried to call Edelbrock in CA, but kept me on hold for 30 minutes. I then called Summit and explained my situation and the very nice woman explained that the tech had sold me the wrong kit and they do not have the correct kit for my Carter.  :angry1: Now 5 hours into the installation I've gotten nowhere....and wasted a good afternoon where we could have been doing something else on the GS.
    Do any of you know where I can purchase a correct electric choke conversion kit for my Carter 3921S ??? I looked on the internet, but I would rather have a recommendation from a GS owner that did the conversion. Any help would be much appreciated.  :help:

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Help needed,Electric choke on my Carter 3921S
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 09:32:38 PM »
Mikes carburetors #cu 1114 use to have a electric choke kit that worked on the carter carbs! My buddy had the eldelbrock on one of his and It works but if they are not making either the other option might be a hand choke? But they don’t always work the best!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:37:13 PM by gssizzler »

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »
Here's an online article on installing the E-brock kit on a Buick carb. They used the arm and rod from the original carb, not the parts in the E-brock kit:
https://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/electric_choke_conversion.php
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 07:41:54 PM »
   Thanks Walt & gssizzler, Yes I did read the article from HR magazine it was very good, maybe I screwed up because we were using the original choke housing not the one supplied in the kit. but anyway I will see if  Mike's Carburetor has a kit for the 3921S and see what it looks like, if not then after the Holiday weekend is over I will reach out to Edelbrock in CA and see what they say or recommend. In the meantime I have some time tonight to search the internet and see what information I can find...
    If anyone else has any input please post it, I need all the help I can get on this subject..
                                                                                                                                    Thanks.  :thumbsup:
                                                                                                                                      Tony
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »
Got Mike from Carmen Fasco on Tonawanda back when I still used the original Carter
Jerry

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 09:46:43 PM »
 Thanks For the help guys, Specially during a Holiday weekend, I really appreciate it, I ordered a kit from Mikes in Washington State, Kit # 1114 for $39.95. and I also contacted Ted at Mountain Man Fuel Systems (tntcarbparts) in Hackett Arkansas, and he got back to me this afternoon and said they also have an electric choke kit # 809066 for $ 29.50 so I ordered that one too. Rather have two than none. They should both be in by the end of the week. I will post the results when attempt to install, depending on the weather since the hurricane will make its way up the coast by next weekend and at this time we really don't know how it is going to track. Hope it makes a right turn away from NYC and the east coast :crybaby2:
                                                           Tony

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Help needed,Electric choke on my Carter 3921S ... Update
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
     As promised I would test the other two chokes that I ordered. The one from Mountain  Man in Hackett, AR came in first. It was such a simple set-up we had it installed in 10 minutes since we already had the hot wire in from the failed Edelbrock kit. We dialed it in then started the engine up and it worked fine. the cost was $29.50 postpaid.
   Then the Mikes kit came in, it was $39.95 + postage, We took a look at it and noticed that the choke coil was wound the opposite direction than the stock coil. I contacted Mikes by mail showing photos of the Mikes coil and the stock coil. They replied by email and asked me to test their coil. I bench tested both coils, and the Mikes coil worked the same as the stock coil. Case closed ! They stand behind there product.. But the Mountian Man kit wins because it's less expensive and easier to install..
    I'm keeping the Mikes unit in my parts inventory in the event that I need it for the other GS or another Chapter member needs it for their Nailhead. so to sum it all up, stay away from the Edelbrock kit at $70+postage. The Mikes unit is great at $ 39.95+postage. :thumbsup:   But my vote goes to the Mountian Man kit for ease of installation and price at $29.50 postpaid. :hello2: 

Mountian Man Carburetor Re builder 9401 Sugarloaf Mountian road Hackett AR 72937 or contact Ted at tedmtman@yahoo.com
  Mikes Carburetor Parts 438 N.Market blvd Chehalis, WA 98532. or mikescarb.com

Tony

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks! (Re: Electric choke on my Carter 3921S)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
Thanks Tony for all the great information!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: