Author Topic: Sirius Onyx or Stratus radios  (Read 198 times)

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Sirius Onyx or Stratus radios
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:24:07 PM »
Has anyone used one of the portable Sirius satellite radios in one of their vintage cars? What experiences can you share or recommend?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Sirius Onyx or Stratus radios
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 09:43:59 PM »
Got sirius in two cars and its great. A few dead zones behind buildings due to satellite trajectory, but pretty reliable. I listen to #18 underground garage. Some talk and no commercials, but still a tad $$$. We travel cross country un-interrupted; but it aint free.

Im now using google wireless (think ALEXA) in the shop that plays on request from the wifi in the house. Its a tuff call but the google should be available on  the car radio too. Sirius has a 200 channel line up which is good, but still plays re-popped hits from other artists' to get away from copyright infringement.  That kinda sucks when you know a tune by heart and the chorus part has a few different lyrics and chords that ruin the continuity of the original act. JMHO... Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
Bill, do you have the portable radio in vintage cars or are you talking late model factory radios?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »
Sorry Jim... I was referring to late model factory jobs.   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
RetroSound or Bluetooth? (Re: Sirius Onyx or Stratus radios)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »
Dear Jim, Bill, and mid-60s Buick owners who want audio variety,

Has anyone used one of the portable Sirius satellite radios in one of their vintage cars? What experiences can you share or recommend?

Sorry I can't help you on your question.  I can point out that RetroSound has stereos that fit in our classic Buicks and can pickup SiriusXM.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

I suppose you probably knew about this though.  I've never seen an add-on module that you could connect into a classic car radio/stereo so you aren't limited to one brand.  The other thing to think about is that Sirius has a monthly fee that adds up over time.  If you have a stack of CDs that would be sufficient to provide your musically accomplishment to your Buick, couldn't you talk a grandchild or equivalent to convert the music onto MP3 and load them on your phone?  Once the music is loaded up, using your phone to provide music for your car via Bluetooth is mostly automatic.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 05:44:44 PM »
Thanks guys, we are using an mp3 hookup currently but looking for a solution to take from old car to old car. I am fine with the monthly fee and like the Sirius channels.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline ppat324

• Buick Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 06:11:32 AM »
Sirius radio does have plug and play. Only problem being (I think) is the antenna.  Sirius works by sending waves to the radio via antenna. With my Ford Taurus it had plug and play and it was obnoxious. Was in the way of the passenger and I always had to reach to change channels. Not sure how or if Sirius has anything newer. I would suggest calling them BUT Insist on a US agent.  I have put off dealing with them for 3 months now because of the agents they have...ppat
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:56:32 AM by ppat324 »