Author Topic: Instrument panel restoration  (Read 405 times)

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
Instrument panel restoration
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:34:55 PM »
I am at the point that I need to restore my 65 GS instrument panel and radio face and speaker grille panel. I have them apart and could use any tips on cleaning, polishing, painting etc. I am lucky that the speedometer is in great shape so it is mostly the other parts that need a fresh new look.   Thanks, Mike

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear Mike and mid-60s Buick restorers,

I am at the point that I need to restore my 65 GS instrument panel and radio face and speaker grille panel. I have them apart and could use any tips on cleaning, polishing, painting etc. I am lucky that the speedometer is in great shape so it is mostly the other parts that need a fresh new look.

I have done this and have lots of pictures on the restoration process, but there was a lot of hit and miss and I used a lot of model railroad tools and supplies.  I'm not sure I made the best choices when it comes to paint durability for example.  I did touch up the paint on the knobs.  Here is an example on the tailgate motor switch:

Here is the cigarette lighter:

In that case I did manage to locate a replacement core for the lighter jack assembly.  I had bought an NOS lighter probably about 25 years ago.  I repainted the panel behind the switches but once more with railroad colors.   I didn't have to do anything with the speedometer either:

My wagon has been mostly garage kept.  The circuit board and back of the instrument assembly was also in good shape:

Here is the front partially assembled:

If you give us more details on precisely what needs restoring you can get probably more better focused advice.  Photos of "da' patients" will probably give you the best recommendations.  I have lots more photos of what I did but they aren't uploaded to online galleries.  Depending on what you need, I can check what I have.

I hope that is at least a start to answering your question.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. I modified the automatic transmission shifter window to run the cable for the tachometer. 

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Instrument panel restoration
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 07:54:50 PM »
I found it was basically mask what you can, paint, then carefully wipe away paint from ribbed grills on the radio panel with lacquer thinner to remove the paint from the chrome.  Same process for the knobs.

That's probably an oversimplification, but it was the basic process for me.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 04:07:54 PM »
Thanks guys. I will just do as you done and hope mine turns out as well as yours did!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear Mike, Bill, and mid-60s Buick restorers,

FWIW... Ive had really good results from a MOLOTOW CHROME PAINT PEN. Seriously looks like chrome and not silver paint!

Here is the link to the manufacturer's website for the Molotow chrome paint pen.

https://www.molotow.com/en/applications/marker-applications/liquid-chrome

It definitely looks like a product to try!

Another option that I've had some success with is electroplating chrome.  I bought one of these kits from Micromark:

https://www.micromark.com/Plug-N-Plate-Copy-Chrome-Plating-Kit

It is a bit fussy and it can only repair so much, but unlike a pen it deposits chrome directly on the surface so it is more durable.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 05:48:34 PM »
I had an older one of those units for silver plating Model t ford  stuff and it was "OK".  Silvering is like soldering. Results vary on many points.  Thechrome pen works for plastic however. Thats a whole different chemistry. Ive gone as far as taking a dremel with a stone to rust spots on Cragar SS wheels, cleaning to bare steel, and putting a dab of the chrome pen stuff on there to never be noticed.  JMHO.  Heres a few stupid fixes....  Bill

Nothing comes alive like a 455 !