Author Topic: 4 speed clutch pedal rod comparison  (Read 1018 times)

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
4 speed clutch pedal rod comparison
« on: June 03, 2019, 01:07:00 AM »
Here is a comparison of the GS verse Skylark! The GS is shorter made of harder metal it seems and has phosphate coating where the Skylark is longer and galvanized
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 02:51:53 AM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 4 speed clutch pedal rod comparison another interesting observation!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:03:37 PM »
Here is a picture of two GS clutch pedals! Notice the brake  pedal on the right one has a little plate to contact the stop switch!? Another production variation!?
Also noticed the pedals on the left have the oval heads and one on the right have round for the mounting bolts!?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:52:34 AM by gssizzler »

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: 4 speed clutch pedal rod comparison
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 10:15:19 AM »
Here is a comparison of the GS verse Skylark! The GS is shorter made of harder metal it seems and has phosphate coating where the Skylark is longer and galvanized

Many thanks Jon. I am still in need of one of these and now have a better idea of what won't work. lol

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:57:51 AM »
Jon, can you put a measuring stick on those to give an idea of their comparative lengths?

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 01:41:01 AM »
The one for the GS is 12 and the Skylark one is three inches longer approximately! I sold the Skylark rod!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 04:20:56 AM »
Do you think the difference is due to the nailhead clutch operating linkage versus the convention later V8 stuff? The one that came with my V6 was a perfect match for the 455/super T-10 install. Hmm... Bill

Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 06:55:38 PM »

Many thanks Jon. I am still in need of one of these and now have a better idea of what won't work. lol

Loren
Loren,
I'm not a lot of help,but I had a need for one of the GS only clutch rods for a set-up that I sold a few years ago. I ended up buying one from what I think was a 70-81 Camaro and simply putting the 3/8 end on with the help of building it up with a MIG and turning it back into a round 3/8. I just can't remember if that was the exact one I used. With some good measurements(like I should have kept)....I would know exactly what fit. I know I did not have to change ANYTHING but the very end sizing. Dan

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 07:25:14 PM »
Ok...I remember what I did

I bought a Camaro rod like this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-1981-Camaro-Z28-RS-SS-Firebird-OEM-Nice-Clutch-Zbar-Swing-Arm-Release-Rod/153472545346?hash=item23bbad3242:g:CaQAAOSwBkRaJbLt

I had a correct GS rod next to it,and cut the end off that was incorrect. I took a grade 8 3/8 bolt that was not threaded all the way to the head. I put the bolt in a drill press and drilled the hole in the correct spot for the cotter pin or clip. I left the head untouched on the bolt and placed the new piece next to the correct one and ground new piece so the bolt head would sit right on the cut end. I then welded it with a quick tack or two and compared length to make sure it was correct. Then welded it up red hot solid so I could grind it around edges to look factory. After it cooled I cut off the threads so it would be a machined non threaded contact area.....sounds like a pain but pretty quick when you likely can't find one that someone will separate.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »
Thanks for the idea.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6